This is a popular residential area much favoured by commuters to Nottingham and close to Junction 26 of the M1. The A610, which divides the old village, is a major route into the city. Population 6,025
The name, Nuthall, is derived from the Saxon for 'place or corner of the Nuts'. In 1884 there were 97 houses and a population of 404. Today there are over 6,000 people residing in over 2,500 dwellings. Although largely residential, the area is surrounded by woodlands, rural countryside and backs onto a large lake in the south.
Along Nottingham Road, which was once the main road into Nottingham, there is a distinctive row of stone built terraced cottages. Mature trees flank the street frontage which has reverted to a much quieter suburban road since the motorway link roads were built. Old Nuthall still retains much of the original village charm and centres on the Manor House, Old Rectory, church and pub.
Places of Interest
Nuthall Temple was built between 1754 and 1757 and was designed as a Palladian villa. It was sold to pay death duties in 1926 and demolished three years later. All that remains today is the castellated Gothic Summerhouse and the Gatepier which are both listed buildings. The Gatepier stands next to the forecourt of the Three Ponds Public House. The Summerhouse and Gatepier were constructed from local stone, and the quarried land was naturally filled by the Nuthall stream forming three separate ponds. Only one of the original ponds remains.
St Patrick's Parish Church was built of local limestone in the 1400 and the church contains various plaques and effigies including the alabaster figure of the founder, Sir Robert De Cokefield. The neighbouring rectory was constructed in 1761 and dwellings between this property and where the motorway now crosses were constructed in the 18th and 19th century. At the end of the row is the former village reading room, opened by Reverend Robert Holden in 1876.
Page Last Updated: 21/04/2008