Aids & Adaptations
This service is provided for Council tenants or members of their family, who are disabled, and require adaptations to help them live independently and to facilitate easy access into and around their homes. There is no cost for any of the work carried out.
We are required to consult with the Occupational Therapists at Broxtowe Social Care Services, who in turn will make recommendations to the housing department on the work required to ensure this meets all the disabled persons needs. They will also assess the degree of priority the required work should be given (*see below).
We must satisfy ourselves that the work we are being asked to carry out is 'reasonable and practical'.
Tenants can, if necessary, make a direct approach to the Occupational Therapists. The address for Broxtowe Social Care Services is - Prospect House, Padge Road, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 2JR. Tel: (0115) 917 5800 - Fax: (0115) 917 5811.
Adaptations are deemed as being either 'Major' or 'Minor' in nature.
Major adaptation works can include: -
- Stair lifts
- Ceiling tracked hoists
- Over bath showers
- Level access showers
- Property alterations i.e. widened doorways; alterations to kitchens; etc.
- Extensions to family homes
Examples of minor adaptations are -
- Grab handles - internal and external
- Grab rails - near baths, showers, etc.
- Additional handrails to the stairs
- Half steps at front and back doors
- Lever taps to sinks and baths
*The different priorities awarded to all requests are as follows: -
- 'A' Priority - Works are carried out within a month, subject to them being technically possible - N.B. some major adaptations such as extensions may be subject to delay due to the possible high cost and/or the need to seek Planning Permission and obtain competitive quotations from builders.
- 'B' Priority - These requests are considered in turn according to the date of referral and are carried out, subject to the available budget.
- Minor Adaptations - These can be self-referrals from the tenant/disabled person and are assessed by our own 'Aids and Adaptations Officer'.
Our aim is to carry out minor adaptations within 10 working days. The Area Caretaker or our Repairs section will telephone to arrange an appointment to carry out the work at a mutually convenient time.
If you require any further information please contact the 'Aids and Adaptations Officer'.
Page Last Updated: 19/09/2011