The Council has invested considerable money into maintaining its housing stock over many years. Most recently this investment has been used to modernise homes which did not meet the decency standard set by the Government.
We started work on the Decent Homes initiative in 2003 and since then over 1000 homes have had works carried out, mainly comprising of kitchen and bathroom replacement. Any homes which were identified as not meeting the Decent Homes Standard were completed by the Government deadline of December 2010.
Having met the Government original Decent Homes deadline of Dec 2010, we need to continue the ongoing task to maintain our housing stock to avoid future failures, and also to roll out the Broxtowe Standard as far as resources will allow.
We also carry out other major capital works not associated with the Decent Homes Standard, however if some of these works were not carried out it might mean that properties could become non decent. These other projects are as follows:
- Modernisation Works
- Gas Central Heating
- New Council Homes
- Lift Replacement
- Door Replacement
- Asbestos Removal
- Smoke Detector Installation
Capital Works and Modernisations Charter:
Broxtowe's Housing Service has consulted with residents about the services they receive. Through the Open Forums we have held in each of our Housing Management Areas we have asked residents for their views of the services they receive; what they like about them; what they would improve and what is a priority for them in their area.
The information from these Open Forums was then taken to the relevant Service Review Groups, where lead service officers have worked with residents to develop these Service Offers.
Although the offers are a requirement of the Tenant Services Authority's regulatory framework, they also help us to ensure that the services we are delivering reflect the needs and priorities of residents in the Broxtowe borough.
Capital Works Planned Maintenance Programme Offer
To enable us to provide an efficient and effective service, we intend to ensure that:
- Where your home has been included on a programme of works we will contact you as soon as possible in order to advise you of our plans to carry out work.
- We will hold open days in a property, which has already been improved, in order to demonstrate the works we intend to carry out.
- Whenever we carry out modernisation works we will give you a choice of colours for kitchen fittings, internal decoration and wall tiles.
- We will visit all homes involved in the work in order to discuss the work, discuss the choices you have and introduce you to our contract partner.
- We will offer a high level of customer care throughout the works and provide you with effective and frequent communication.
- Our contract partner will have respect for our residents and their homes.
- We will encourage resident involvement.
- We will have respect for people with special needs.
- We will measure resident satisfaction.
- We will provide an emergency out of hours service for problems associated with the improvements.
- We will provide information packs on the proposed improvements.
- Your privacy is paramount to us and as such we are committed to protecting your privacy. We will treat any personal information by which you can be identified (i.e. name, address, email and the like) in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act of 1998. Further details of why we collect your personal data, how it is used and who this information is shared with is set out in the privacy notice in the information pack on the proposed improvements.
How you can help us:
To enable us to carry out the improvements it is very important that you:
- Make arrangements to be at home on the agreed date that the works start.
- Keep us informed of any change in holidays, choices etc.
- Ensure ornaments, clocks etc, are packed away prior to the works commencing.
- Advise members of the household to take care when the works are being carried out.
- Keep pets safely away from the working area.
Our Commitment to You
The Council is committed to listening and responding to provide efficient and effective services to both residents and non-residents alike. In dealing with the Council you will be dealt with in a courteous and professional manner at all times and can be assured of equal treatment.
As a practical demonstration of our commitment, the Council has produced a number of Service Offers, which represent our pledge to you. The Council's vision, values and priorities are published separately and are available on request.
The Service Offers explain clearly the standards we aim to meet and what you can expect from us. We also welcome your views and comments in order to improve the service in the future.
What You Can Expect From Us
We will always:
- Be friendly, polite and professional towards you.
- Be discreet and treat any information provided by you with an appropriate degree of confidentiality.
- Be sensitive to your individual needs and treat you with respect, as we appreciate that you may be feeling anxious about what is happening to you.
- Ask for your opinions and seek suggestions regarding the services we run.
- Deal with any complaint you have in an open, professional and fair manner.
The performance against these service offers will be monitored by the relevant Service Review Group. The groups will be provided with periodic performance reports and they will scrutinise the information and make recommendations on how the service can be improved. Performance information against service offers will be made available to residents through the Housing Service's annual report, newsletter and other appropriate means.
Reviewing These Offers
These offers will be reviewed on a regular basis by the relevant Service Review Group. The first review will be undertaken within the first six months of the offers being implemented and the timescales for future reviews will be agreed at the first review.
What Happens If Things Go Wrong
The Council is proud of its customer service record and if for any reason you feel it has not complied with this service offer please let us know in the first instance by contacting the relevant officer. Specific literature relating to specific projects will be issued with appropriate contact details.
The new extended hours are 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday - Thursday and 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Fridays
You can contact the Capital Works Team using the details to the right hand side.