Who has to Pay & Appeals

In most cases the occupier of a property is liable to pay the business rates.

If the property is empty, the person entitled to possession of the property is liable and this may for example be the leaseholder or the owner.

How to appeal against your rateable value

If you think that your rateable value is inaccurate, possibly due to a change to the property, the ratepayer (and certain others with an interest in the property) may make a proposal to alter the value. If you want to make an appeal you should contact the Valuation Office Agency through the contact details provided under the Contact Us section.

Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and The Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance.

Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

More information about RICS and IRRV can be found under the Offsite Links section. 

Contact Us

Customer Services

T: (0115) 917 7777
F: (0115) 917 3555

Valuation Office Agency

T: (0300) 050 1501
F: (0300) 050 0975

Page Last Updated: 18/02/2016