Building Control Standard
Building Control Standard: Our Commitment to You
The Council is committed to listening and responding to provide efficient and effective services to both residents and non-residents alike. In dealing with the Council you will be dealt with in a courteous and professional manner at all times and can be assured of equal treatment.
As a practical demonstration of our commitment, the Council has produced a number of customer Service Standards, which represent our pledge to you. The Council's vision, values and priorities are published separately and are available on request.
This Service Standard covers Building Control and explains clearly the standards we aim to meet and what you can expect from us. We also welcome your views and comments in order to improve the service in the future.
What You Can Expect From Us:
- We will ensure that an officer from the Building Control Section is available on weekdays between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm (4:30pm Fridays) to discuss any building related enquiries or applications.
- We welcome the opportunity to give informal pre-application advice and discuss the layout and construction methods of your proposal.
- Where possible, we will give you general advice on whether the proposed drawings and specifications are likely to be acceptable on submission of your application.
- We will provide a schedule of Building Regulation charges and explain the method of calculating Plan and Inspection charges, Building Notice charges and Regularisation application charges.
- We will check the charges deposited with an application, acknowledge their receipt and advise you of any Inspection charges and the decision date of your application within 5 working days.
- We will ensure that your application is examined by an experienced Building Control officer.
- We will ensure that full plan Building Regulations applications receive a decision within 5 weeks of receipt, except where an extension of time has been agreed in advance, in which case a decision will be issued within 2 months.
- Where possible, we will give notice of amendments, alterations or additional information required to bring a full plans application up to the standards required by the building regulations in sufficient time to enable you to respond within the statutory time limits.
- We will issue a conditional approval, if previously requested, where additional information or minor alterations to the plans are required.
- We aim to process Building Notices within 5 workings days of receipt.
- We aim to accept Initial Notices within the statutory period of 5 working days.
- We will ensure that all statutory inspections requested before 10:30am are carried out on the same day.
- An officer inspecting the site will carry identification.
- We will issue a Completion Certificate for all works carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations after a satisfactory final inspection has been undertaken.
- We will endeavour to provide a consistent interpretation of the Building Regulations throughout the Broxtowe area and to liaise with adjacent authorities to harmonise interpretation within the county.
- We will investigate all complaints of Building Regulation contraventions, provide help and advice to owners where possible and undertake enforcement action where the matter cannot be resolved by other means.
- We will investigate all potentially dangerous structures within 24 hours of a report being received by the Building Control Section, and take all actions necessary in order to protect the safety of the public.
- We will provide guidance on matters relating to access to buildings, including specialist design and equipment, for people with disabilities.
How You Can Help Us:
- To enable us to provide you with as good a service as possible it would be helpful if you could bear the following points in mind.
- Ensure that all plans and other information are presented in a clear, legible manner and to a recognised metric scale and that the current charges are provided with your application.
- Respond to any request for revisions or additional information in sufficient time to allow checking prior to the decision date.
Page Last Updated: 09/03/2010