Premises License Applications

Premises License Applications

Where an individual or a company proposes to offer gambling for which an operating licence is required, and which is premises based, that individual or company will also need to apply for a premises licence.

Under the Gambling Act 2005 premises licences will be processed and granted by licensing authorities who may authorise the provision of facilities on:

  • Casino premises

  • Bingo premises

  • Betting premises, Including tracks

  • Adult gaming centres

  • Family entertainment centres

The Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing operating licences under the Gambling Act 2005 to organisations and individuals who are providing facilities for gambling.

It also issues personal licences to certain categories of people working in the gambling industry. The Commission requires key employees in certain management positions to hold a personal licence. More information is available on their website.

Except in the case of tracks (where the occupier of the track who holds the operating licence may not be the person who actually offers the gambling) premises licences may only be issued to people with a relevant gambling operating licence or who are in the process of applying for an operator's licence.

For example, to obtain a bingo premises licence the applicant must hold a bingo operating licence. Premises licences are only transferable to someone else holding a valid operating licence.

Guidance notes and application forms for premises licence applications under the Gambling Act 2005 can be found in the supporting documentation below.

Please note that the Notices to Responsible Authorities required by the Act, and the Notices for display at the appropriate premises and for publication (if required), are attached to the application forms for convenience.

tel: 0115 917 3241