Stage Hypnotism

Stage Hypnotism

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from Broxtowe Borough Council. You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

Apply Online

Apply for stage hypnotism authorisation. (Opens in a New Window)

EUGOEligibility Criteria

An application for consent shall be in writing and signed by the licence holder or his agent and shall be made not less than 28 days in advance of the exhibition, demonstration or performance concerned. A copy of the application shall at the same time be forwarded to the chief officer of police and the fire authority. The application shall contain the following particulars:

  1. the name and address of the person by whom the exhibition, demonstration or performance is to be given (hereinafter referred to as "the hypnotist"); together with details of their last three performances (when and where)

  2. a description of the proposed exhibition, demonstration or performance; and

  3. a statement as to whether, and if so giving full details thereof, the hypnotist has been previously refused, or had withdrawn, a consent by any licensing authority or been convicted of an offence under the Hypnotism Act 1952 or of an offence involving the breach of a condition, regulating or prohibiting the giving of an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on any person at a place licensed for public entertainment.

Regulation Summary

Please view the Hypnotism Act 1952 (as amended by the Licensing Act 2003).

Application Evaluation Process


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Broxtowe Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details on the right hand side.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licence holders may at any time apply to Broxtowe Borough Council for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.

Other Redress


Trade Associations

Agents Association
National Entertainment Agents Council
Society for All Artists (SAA)

Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777