Pests and Infestations

Pests and Infestations

The Council no longer provides a pest control service.

Broxtowe Residents

If you have a pest problem we recommend that you use a pest control professional to deal with it. However, some information on treating pests yourself is given below.


For any business with a pest problem we strongly advise that you use a pest control professional as additional legal requirements will apply. If you are from a food business with a pest problem you should contact a member of the Environmental Health team for advice (Tel: 0115 9177777 ext 3485).

Private sector / Housing Association / Council tenants

If you are renting in the any of the above sectors and you are concerned about pests you should contact your landlord or relevant repairs team.

Pest Control Cash-Back Scheme

If you are a Broxtowe resident and have a problem with either rats or mice inside or rats outside your domestic property and are on a means tested benefit you may be able to claim up to £50 back on the cost of a completed pest control treatment.

  • You can use the form in the links if you wish to apply for the cash back

To qualify for the refund, (of up to £50) the following criteria must be met:

  • You must have received a pest control treatment from a professional pest control company which is a member of either the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) or the National Pest Technicians  Association (NPTA)
  • You must be in receipt of one or more means tested benefit listed on the form
  • The treatment must have been for rats or mice inside, or rats outside your domestic dwelling
  • You must live in Broxtowe and be registered on the electoral role
  • You must have paid for the treatment in full
  • You must submit a completed application form with copies of your proof of benefit and the receipted invoice.
  • Your application must be received within 28 days of the date of your invoice
  • Post your completed form and copies of relevant paperwork to ; Environmental Health, Public Protection, Broxtowe Borough Council, Foster Avenue, Beeston. NG9 1AB  alternatively  scan all the documents and email them to
  • Your application and your entitlement will be checked and processed within 21 days
  • Please only send copies of receipts and benefit qualifying documents as these cannot be returned
  • If you qualify you could receive up to £50 refund. This is paid by cheque sent to the address and person named on the application


Finding a pest control professional

Pest controllers are listed in telephone directories or by an online search. The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) or National Pest Technicians Association (NPTA) can help you find a pest controller. Links to their websites are given below and you should go to the "Find a pest controller " section of their websites.

Contact a pest control company who MUST be a member of either the BPCA (Opens in a New Window) or NPTA (Opens in a New Window) by using their 'find a pest controller' section of their websites. Pest control companies are also listed on  Yell (Opens in a New Window) or Nottinghamshire Approved Contractor Approved trader website. (Opens in a New Window) However these may not be registered with the BPCA or NPTA.

When looking for a pest controller, make sure you:

  • get at least three quotations

  •  find out if there is a call out fee or fixed charge

  • find out what service and guarantee they will provide you with

  • ensure they have insurance cover

  • check their qualifications and any membership to the BPCA or NPTA

  • Ensure you are happy with him/her and understand the advice they give

  • consider personal recommendations from friends, neighbours

If rodenticides are used your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. They should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete to ensure no bait is left behind.

If rodenticides are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals. You should see this assessment and be left with information relating to the treatment carried out at your premises.

Householders - treating pests yourself

The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) an A to Z of pests (Opens in a New Window) which provides with advice on how to deal with each pest (such as insects and mammals).

In domestic premises if you choose to treat the problem yourself most of the necessary materials can be purchased from hardware stores, DIY outlets and garden centres.

Pesticides are poisons so please ensure you follow manufacturer's instructions and health and safety best practice at all times.

When using these products you should:-

  • Get the right product for the pest you are dealing with

  • Avoid ingestion, inhalation or skin contact

  • Keep children and animals away from sprayed areas until completely dry, and away from solid baits

  • Do not use pesticides on food preparation surfaces or in food cupboards

  • Ensure the product is laid in the correct manner and is not available to children, pets or other animals

  • Pick up and dispose of any mice/rat bodies by double bagging and placing in the general refuse bin for incineration

If treating the problem yourself does not work you may wish to call in a pest controller see 'Finding a pest control professional' above for more information.

Pests and the Law

Broxtowe Borough Council enforces the provisions of three Acts of Parliament which impose duties on owners and/or occupiers of premises/land regarding infestations. These are:

Section 83 Public Health Act 1936 which gives local authorities the power to require the owner or occupier of a property to clean verminous premises. "Vermin" is not precisely defined but includes rats , mice, insects and parasites, their eggs, larvae and pupae. In practice, vermin is taken to mean fleas, cockroaches and bedbugs, but could include other insects in extreme cases.

 Section 4 of the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 which gives local authorities the power to require the owner or occupier of land (but not agricultural land) to take steps for the destruction of rats or mice or keeping land free from rats and mice. The power extends to carrying out works in default and recovery of the costs incurred.

Section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (as amended) extends the list of statutory nuisances to include "any insects emanating from relevant industrial trade or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance". It should be noted that this provision does not apply to insects from domestic premises and that some insects are excluded (see Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).You should also note that many types of land including arable, meadow, reed beds and woodlands are not classed as relevant land.

tel: 0115 784 1110
Neighbourhood Wardens
tel: 0115 917 3142