Jubilee Street Party Guidance

Jubilee Street Party Guidance

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community. They are events that groups of residents get together to arrange for them and their neighbours.


The main differences between a small street party and other public events are listed below:

Difference between a street part and public events
Street Parties Other Public Events

For residents/neighbours only

Anyone can attend

Publicity only to residents

External publicity (such as in newspapers)

In a quiet residential road or street

In buildings, parks etc.


Professional/skilled organisers

Normally no insurance

Insurance needed

No formal risk assessment needed

Risk assessment common

No licenses normally necessary unless the sale of alcohol is involved

License usually needed

What Permissions are Needed?

Typically, a street party will involve closing the street on which the party is being held. To do this, you need to have a legal right to close that road and by applying for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) (opens in new window), that right can be put in place. 

The TTRO does not introduce a parking restriction, meaning residents will still be allowed to park their cars on the road if they so wish. By engaging with neighbours and gaining support for the street party, organisers should reach agreement with neighbours to relocate any parked cars to outside the area of the street party to ensure that a fully car free environment can be achieved during the event.

Please note that vehicular access for emergency services must be maintained during any closure period.

Types of Street Party

Traditional Street Party

A Traditional Street Party is one which requires a road closure and no other license. This means there is to be no alcohol sold and no regulated entertainment at the event. The expected attendance would be low as only residents, close friends and family will be invited. Infrastructure on the road will be fairly lightweight, with tables and chairs as the main equipment used.

Enhanced Street Party

An Enhanced Street Party is one which requires a road closure and a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), as there may be some on site alcohol sales via a pop up bar and some other regulated entertainment at the event.   The expected attendance would be low as only residents, close friends and family will be invited. Infrastructure on the road could potentially include a bar or food stall and music stand along with table and chairs as the main equipment used.

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) must be served on the Licensing Authority, the Police and Environmental Health.


Broxtowe Borough Council do not require you to take out public liability insurance for street parties. You will, of course, be responsible for the safety of your event and you may wish to take out insurance even though it is not required by the Council.

See also the insurance section of the Streets Alive Website (opens in new window) for more information.

What Equipment Do I Need to Close the Road?

The organisers of the event must themselves provide, erect and dismantle barriers and signs which clearly show that the road has been closed. All barriers should be clearly visible to approaching motorists before they enter the road which is closed, to avoid the possibility that vehicles will be reversing and turning in confined areas which will be thronged with pedestrians.

Remember that members of the public cannot stop traffic to close a road, wait until there is no traffic approaching and then put out your road closed signs.

Further information on signing can be found on the Streets Alive Website (opens in new window).

Informing Broxtowe Borough Council

Tell us about your event and we can then advise if you need any further controls or email safetyadvisorygroup@broxtowe.gov.uk

Further information and guidance can be found on Gov.uk (opens in new window).

Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777