Affected Council Services
Page last updated: 31st March 2020, 11.00am
Affected Council Services
- Council Offices
- Waste and Recycling
- Funerals and Bramcote Crematorium
- Committee Meetings
- Council Tax
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Car Parks
- Public Toilets
- Partner Organisations - Affected Services
- Staying up to date
- Further information
The Council Offices on Foster Avenue, Beeston are closed to the public. Please use alternative methods to contact us:
- View a list of online services
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us on 0115 917 7777
Waste and recycling collections - currently running as normal
Currently our black-lidded bin and recycling (green-lidded bin, garden waste, glass) collections are running as normal.
We may begin to see staff shortages and perhaps delays on services such as missed bins, bin delivery’s and other parts of our service to Broxtowe Borough residents. We apologise for this and are working hard to make the priority services run as normal.
Please keep checking this page or our social media accounts for update on bin collections.
- We have currently suspended our bullky waste collection service to help minimise non-essential contact and ensure resources are available to run our normal waste and recycling collections.
- We have also cancelled all of our Free Bulky Waste Collection Events.
- All 12 of Nottinghamshire's recycling centres are now closed - in Broxtowe, this affects Giltbrook Recycle Centre and Beeston Recycle Centre.
- Please do not place any waste you would normally take to a recycling centre in your kerbside bin. Instead, store this safely until the centres re-open. Please continue to recycle domestic waste into your bins as advised.
Bring Site Recycling
- Please do not take items to one of the car park recycling banks, including glass, tetrapacks, books and clothing.
- Instead, store this safely until the Stay At Home measures have been lifted.
Households that are self-isolating should follow the Government's advice on disposal of waste (Opens in a new window):
- Store personal waste such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths securely within disposable rubbish bags.
- Place these bags into another bag, tie securely and keep separate from other waste.
- These bags should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external general waste bin.
- Please dispose of your other household waste as normal.
It is more important than ever to ensure that recycling is clean and dry and that rubbish bags are all securely tied to help prevent spills and protect our Refuse Teams and the public.
Funerals Limited to 10 People
Broxtowe and Erewash Borough Councils are urging residents not to attend any funerals at Bramcote Crematorium, unless they are immediate family members.
“Bereavements are a very difficult time for families and friends but sadly, in the challenging times we are currently in with the COVID-19 pandemic, we must follow the Government’s measures and limit the number of people attending funerals to an absolute maximum of 10 people, who should be immediate family only. If you are not one of those 10, please do not come to the Crematorium and please do not use any of the facilities at the Crematorium. Please note that the Book of Remembrance room is now closed and locked until further notice.
This is for everyone’s safety to help stop the spread of the virus to ensure we all keep as healthy as possible. These measures will constantly be reviewed but for now this is something that must be enforced.
If people do not comply with this, it may be necessary to cease having funeral services, that is not something which the Councils wish to do at what is a distressing time for families who are grieving. We also reserve the right to seek Police assistance in cases where our advice is ignored.
We understand it is not an easy decision to limit the number of people attending to say goodbye but I would like to make a plea to everyone to do the right thing to protect others and our staff and to consider making plans to celebrate and remember loved ones through memorial services and other celebrations when the pandemic is over,” said Leader of Broxtowe Borough Council, Councillor Milan Radulovic MBE, on behalf of the Bramcote Bereavement Services Joint Committeee.
Updates from Bramcote Crematorium are available on the Bramcote Bereavement website (Opens in a new window).
Bramcote Leisure Centre, Chilwell Olympia and Kimberley Leisure Centre are closed, as well as the D.H Lawrence Birthplace Museum. They are now offering an online service to their customers under the name of LLeisure At Home. Visit their social media channels and LLeisure website (Opens in a new window) for all the latest blogs, instructional videos and information on their exercise-on-demand streaming services.
To help protect residents and employees, the Council will be minimising the number of home visits its carries out for its Housing Services.
Housing Repairs – We will only complete emergency repairs. If your appointment will be cancelled, we will be contacting you to let you know.
General Needs – We will not be completing home visits but will contact tenants by phone. We are contacting tenants who are over 70 or vulnerable to offer support.
Independent Living – Independent Living Coordinators will not be working on schemes but will contact tenants by phone. All communal rooms, such as lounges, quiet rooms and hobby rooms will be closed. Activities in schemes have also been cancelled.
Allocations – We will be contacting every applicant who has been offered a property to review their current situation and see if they are able to remain in their current accommodation at this time
Vulnerable residents - We have been making calls to people who normally attend activities in our Independent Living Schemes to check on them and make sure they know the activities have been cancelled.
Private Sector Housing - Private Sector Housing Officers will minimise housing inspections visits and will focus on assistance with emergency repairs only for tenants in the private rented sector. Officers will be available by email or telephone for advice and guidance.
Lifeline Service - We are no longer accepting any new Lifeline home alarm requests. If there is an emergency breakdown for an existing customer, the Lifeline Co-ordinator will contact you directly and talk you through the issue over the phone. If a new part is required, where necessary we will drop it off outside the door and again do a phone call to explain installation (for example, a replacement pendant).
Returning Keys - If you need to return keys because your tenancy has come to an end, please post them in the letterbox outside our Beeston Office on Foster Avenue. Please ensure that they are clearly labelled with your name and address. Please let us know you have done this by calling 0115 917 3347 or email email@example.com. If you are due to return your keys but are unable to do so please let us know.
The service will be offered via phone, anyone who needs to speak to the homeless team should contact 0115 917 3400.
We are also putting in place additional provisions to assist people sleeping rough in the Borough.
During Office Hours - If someone is sleeping rough, they, or someone supporting them should contact the Housing Options Team for advice and assistance. The team can be contacted on 0115 917 7777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Housing Options Team will discuss the circumstances and will be able to refer the rough sleeper to temporary accommodation within the Nottinghamshire area.
Outside Office Hours - Broxtowe Borough Council works closely with the Street Outreach Team, managed by Framework, to try and positively engage and advise rough sleepers within Broxtowe. The Street Outreach Team can be contacted on 0800 066 5356. The Council also offer a limited service out of hours for emergency housing situations. They can be contacted on 0115 917 7777.
In order to ensure the continuation of good governance and transparency of decision-making at the Council the following measures have been put in place in accordance with the Council’s Constitution.
All essential items will be considered by the Policy and Performance Committee which, by agreement with the three group leaders, will consist of three members of the ruling group and two Conservative Group members. This will ensure quoracy. The intention is to hold this meeting virtually as soon as the Government’s new Regulations enabling this are law.
Noting reports will be distributed to all members with information provided to contact the relevant officers should clarification be required.
The Planning Committee will continue to be held regularly ( also virtually) with three members of the ruling group and two Conservative Group members, geographical considerations should be taken into account when these members are selected. Councillors will be asked to consider carefully which items are called-in and which can be decided by officer delegation.
Licensing and Appeals Committee and the Alcohol and Entertainments Committee will be held, as necessary, under the same three members of the ruling group and two Conservative Group members basis.
It is currently planned for the Full Council meeting to go ahead on 13 May with 11 members to ensure that the meeting is quorate. This will allow for business to be enacted that is specific to Full Council and ensure the smooth running of the committee system at Broxtowe in these extraordinary circumstances.
- CAT meetings have been postponed until further notice.
- We will not be undertaking any Mayoral engagements until further notice. If you have an event coming up in the next few weeks, we’ll be in touch with you to re-arrange. The Mayor's Roaring 20s Charity Ball has been cancelled.
- We are not permitting any events to take place on our public squares.
- Community Safety Drop in events have been cancelled until further notice.
- All VE Day events have been cancelled across the country.
- Direct Debits will be collected as usual.
- If you have lost your job as a result of Coronavirus and need help with paying your Council Tax then you can claim Council Tax Support
- There are alternative payments method, such as Direct Debit, online payment or phoning our automated payment line
- If you are still having difficulty making payments then please contact the Council Tax department via email on email@example.com
- All summer fun fairs have been cancelled. The organiser will look to reschedule these when it is possible to do so.
- Play areas across the Borough are now closed.
- Parks and open spaces remain open, as do allotments but you must practice social distancing at all times and only visit these sites once daily as part of your exercise allowance. View the Government’s social distancing page (Opens in a new window).
- The Nottinghamshire Football Association have postponed all affiliated football activity within the country for the foreseeable future. This means that there will be no organised football matches taking place on the Borough's Parks and Recreation Grounds until further notice.
- The England and Wales Cricket board have closed all cricket facilities.
- All bowling greens are closed for the summer season, which was due to start on 1st May .
Parking charges have been suspended in all Broxtowe's car parks to help residents who need somewhere to park whilst getting essential food shopping and medical supplies - there is no requirement to obtain a free voucher or Pay and Display ticket from the machine.
Please park sensibly and respect the blue badge spaces. If you have any queries contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public toilets are closed.
We are currently working with other agencies and voluntary organisations to co-ordinate a community response to support vulnerable people.
Nottinghamshire County Council
View Nottinghamshire County Council’s affected services information (Opens in a new window) including information about libraries.
For all up to date information visit Nottinghamshire Fire website (Opens in a New Window).
Citizens Advice Broxtowe
They are now only offering telephone or webchat support.
- General advice - 0300 4568369
- Consumer advice – 03454 040506
- Universal Credit advice - 0800 1448444 or visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk/helptoclaim (Opens in a new window)
- Debt advice - 01773 768363 (Eastwood area) or 01159 173802 (Beeston area)
- Webchat - visit – www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact (Opens in a new window)
They have also put useful information on their website about what Coronavirus means for you - view the Citizen's Advice Coronavirus advice page (Opens in a new window)
Voluntary Action Broxtowe
All internal projects are suspend until further notice.
Broxtowe Women's Project
Their priority remains supporting women and children who are affected by domestic abuse but this support will move to phone and digital support, as well as doorstop drops of welfare packages.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 07914 634 190 – Text phone support calls only
- The Broxtowe Women's Project website (Opens in a new window) will be kept up to date with useful resources.
Job Centre Plus and Benefits
People receiving benefits do not have to attend jobcentre appointments for three months, starting from Thursday 19 March 2020. People will continue to receive their benefits as normal, but all requirements to attend the jobcentre in person are suspended.
People can still make applications for benefits online if they are eligible. Find out more on the Understanding Universal Credit website (Opens in a new window).
NET Trams Coronavirus updates - https://thetram.net/coronavirus.aspx (Opens in a new window)
Nottingham City Transport updates - https://www.nctx.co.uk/(Opens in a new window)
Trent Barton updates - https://trentbarton.co.uk/coronavirus (Opens in a new window)
East Midlands Trains updates - https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/ (Opens in a new window)
The easiest way to stay up to date with the Council's updates is:
- By checking this webpage
- Following us on social media at www.facebook.com/BroxtoweBoroughCouncil (Opens in a new window) or @broxtowebc on Twitter
- Signing up to our Latest News Email Me Service at www.broxtowe.gov.uk/emailme (Opens in a new window)