Homeless Ex-Forces Personnel
Contact the Council if you think you will be homeless after discharge from the services. You must produce a letter of discharge or other evidence that confirms the date of your discharge from the Forces. Defence Estates have to give you a Notice to vacate before they obtain a possession order against you. You can use any Notice to Vacate and any possession order that is obtained against you as evidence in support of your homelessness application.
The Council may not have a duty to help you if you are homeless after dishonourable discharge.
To help support your case, you may need to provide medical evidence from the Ministry of Defence, including a Medical History Release Form (if you were given one). If it is decided that you do not meet the Qualification Criteria for Armed Forces (Opens in a New Window), there is no duty owed to you to provide you with accommodation – and you may need to seek independent legal advice or help from a specialist agency to make representations on your behalf.
Many single homeless people do not qualify for emergency accommodation from the Council or any other local authority. However, there is a range of services for people who find themselves homeless and on the streets, for example:
- Details of day centres and hostels can be found on The Homeless Link Website (Opens in a New Window)
- Day centres can provide shelter, food, clothing, laundry facilities and showers
- You can get help with your rent deposit at The Royal British Legion Support Website. (Opens in a New Window)
- Housing advice can be found on the SSAFA Website (Opens in a New Window)
Housing advice for veterans can be found on the Veteran's Housing Advice Website (Opens in a New Window). The direct number to an advisor is 0808 801 0880, or via the Veterans’ Gateway on 0808 802 1212 that is available 24/7.
Tailored employment guidance, housing advice and mental health support can be found on the Forces in the Community Website (Opens in a New Window). Their drop-in centre is located at 2 Cross Street, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 2NX or telephone 0115 9220320.
The following categories of applicants will be awarded an enhancement of six months on their application for accommodation on Homesearch (Opens in a New Window), if they have left the Armed Forces within the last five years:
- Those discharged from the Armed Forces as a result of sustaining a serious injury, illness, medical condition, or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to the person’s service
- Former serving members of the Reserve Forces who need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of their service
- Former armed forces personnel who have been discharged and are in housing need
- Bereaved spouses or civil partners of those who served in the regular forces where the bereaved spouse or civil partner has recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled, to reside in Ministry of Defence accommodation
- Those applying following the death of their service spouse or civil partner, where the death was wholly or partly attributable to their service.