Homeless Ex-Forces Personnel

Homeless Ex-Forces Personnel

To help support your case, you may need to provide medical evidence from the Ministry Of Defence, including a Medical History Release Form (if you were given one). You may need to seek independent legal advice or help from a specialist agency to make representations on your behalf if it is decided that you do not meet the criteria set out above, and therefore there is no duty owed to you to provide you with accommodation.

Skip to the relevant section:

Applying as homeless before discharge from the forces

Contact Broxtowe Borough Council’s Housing Options Team if you think you will be homeless after discharge from the services.

Upon the production of a letter of discharge or other evidence that confirms the date of your discharge from the Forces, Broxtowe Borough Council should accept that from the date of discharge you will become homeless. Defence Estates have to give you a Notice to vacate before they can take you to court in order that they can obtain a possession order. You can use any Notice to Vacate and any possession order that is obtained against you as evidence in support of your homelessness application.

Back to the Top

Ex-forces and single, homeless, and on the streets

Many single homeless people do not qualify for emergency accommodation from Broxtowe Borough Council or any other local authority. There is a range of services for people who find themselves homeless and on the streets, for example:

Back to the Top


Veterans' Housing Advice is a service which provides clear pathways for ex-Service personnel in housing need throughout the United Kingdom to move into permanent homes. It is provided in partnership with The Royal British Legion, Shelter and Connect Assist, its main aim is to make accessing the services of charities easier through a telephone helpline open seven days a week from 8am-8pm. It can, for example, provide a housing intervention that negates the need to consider a rent bond or rent deposit.

 There is now a Veteran's Housing Advice Website. (Opens in a New Window)The direct number to an advisor is 0808 801 0880, or via the Veterans’ Gateway on 0808 802 1212 that is available 24/7.

 Forces in the Community (Opens in a New Window) is a local charity committed to supporting ex-service personnel and their families to reach their full potential. The charity delivers tailored employment guidance, housing advice, mental health support and provides a supportive environment in which to develop. The charity supports the clients and their families, who are often disadvantaged and at a point of crisis in their lives.

The drop-in centre is located at 2 Cross Street, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 2NX or telephone 0115 9220320.

Back to the Top

Homeless after dishonourable discharge

Broxtowe Borough Council may not have a duty to help you if you are homeless after being discharged on disciplinary grounds from the UK armed forces.

Back to the Top

Joining the Housing Register

The following categories of applicants will be awarded an enhancement of six months on their application for accommodation on Broxtowe Borough Council’s Housing Register (Opens in a New Window)if they have left the Armed Forces within the last five years:

  • Those discharged from the Armed Forces as a result of sustaining a serious injury, illness, medical condition, or disability during service which is attributable (wholly or partly) to the person‘s service
  • Those former serving members of the Reserve Forces who need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of their service
  • Former armed forces personnel in housing need and have been discharged from the Armed Forces
  • Those bereaved spouses or civil partners of those who served in the regular forces where the bereaved spouse or civil partner has recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled, to reside in Ministry of Defence accommodation
  • Those applying following the death of their service spouse or civil partner, where the death was wholly or partly attributable to their service.

Back to the Top

tel: 0115 917 7777