Apply by completing a Homesearch application form (Opens in a New Window) or if you have any questions complete the Independent Living Enquiry Form. (Opens in a New Window)
Details of Independent Living
Broxtowe Borough Council manages over 1,300 Independent Living properties. Independent Living offers comfortable and affordable housing, which provides support and safety, while still allowing you to maintain your privacy and independence.
The Independent Living Service is divided into two teams; East and West. Both teams are led by an Independent Living Team Leader who will be supported by their team of Independent Living Co-ordinators (ILCs).
A weekly service charge is applicable to residents living in Independent Living and the amount is dependent on the type of scheme they live in.
Benefits of Independent Living
Independent Living offers residents:
- Personalised Independent Plans (I-Plans) which will enable Independent Living Co-ordinators to support you in maintaining your independence
- Communal facilities, such as a lounge, laundry room and hairdressing room, in most schemes
- Regular activities brought to you by two specialist Activities Co-ordinators
- A Lifeline calling system linked to a 24 hour response centre, managed by a Lifeline Co-ordinator and staffed by trained operators who are available seven days a week
- Convenient locations throughout the borough, which are close to social, transport and shopping facilities. Further details of schemes and their locations can be found on the Schemes in the Borough page
Please note that Independent Living is all about helping residents to maintain their independence. Therefore we cannot help with:
- Providing personal care, for example washing and dressing
- Regularly preparing meals
- Collecting shopping or prescriptions
- Handling your personal finances
- Providing health care and giving you medicines
Eligibility for Independent Living
- Anyone over the age of 60
- Anyone with a degree of disability that makes their present home unsuitable and who would benefit from the support available in Independent Living accommodation. In the case of couples, only one person needs to meet the criteria
Independent Living Properties
Most Independent Living properties are purpose built flats. There are two types of properties classified as 'A Schemes' and 'B Schemes'.
'A' Schemes -The majority of these schemes are 'corridor' schemes where your front door will open onto a secure corridor, which is linked to communal facilities. These schemes are ideal for residents who are looking for extra security and a more active social life
'B' Schemes -These schemes are a mixture of flats and bungalows where your front door will open onto the street. Some properties have their own garden. These schemes are ideal for residents who want that little bit more independence.