Elderly and/ or Disabled Housing

Elderly and/ or Disabled Housing

Information on the services offered to elderly and/or disabled people in private housing.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are disabled and your home needs adapting you may be entitled to a grant of up to £30,000. Typical works include installation of stair lifts, door widening, door ramps, level access showers or lowering worktops.

You will need an assessment of your needs by an occupational therapist from Nottinghamshire County Council and will need to have your financial circumstances assessed.

For further information contact Nottinghamshire County Council Social Care Services on 0300 500 80 80.

Handyperson Preventative Adaptation Scheme (HPAS)

HPAS will provide "that little bit of help" to older and vulnerable people in Nottinghamshire. The type of jobs range from fitting hand rails and half steps, to changing light bulbs, fitting door locks and putting up shelves. Often very small jobs such as fixing loose carpets or installing a handrail can prevent a fall and avoid unnecessary distress to an individual.

All traders are registered with the Notts Trading Standards Approved Traders Scheme.

Handyperson services are available to you if you are over 60 or have a disability and live in the county of Nottinghamshire.

This service will cost you £15.

Please note this service does not include gardening, decorating or any job that requires a specialist skill.


Adaptations to your home may help you to remain living independently and safely. If you are over 60 or have a disability and live in the county of Nottinghamshire you are eligible to have any of the following pieces of equipment:

  • Grab rails

  • Stair rails

  • Half steps

  • Exterior hand rails

There is a limit of £250 worth of equipment per household. This service will cost you £15.

Please note that adaptations cannot currently be fitted into houses that are rented from the Council or a housing association.

Private Sector Housing
tel: 0115 917 3438