- Post Ref: TMT150 - Heavy Vehicle Apprentice
Post Ref: TMT150 - Heavy Vehicle Apprentice
Brief overview of the role
Broxtowe Borough Council are on their search for a Heavy Vehicle Apprentice. This is an excellent opportunity to work and train alongside a highly skilled workforce that is committed to quality. The successful candidate can expect a high-quality training package with excellent career prospects.
Based at Broxtowe Borough Councils Refuse site, you will have the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge from colleagues and teams with decades of experience. Broxtowe Borough Council have a large fleet of vehicles and their extensive facilities will allow you to gain knowledge on lorries, vans and other plant equipment.
Your key roles and responsibilities as a Heavy Vehicle Apprentice at Broxtowe Borough Council will be the following:
- Service, Maintain and Repair a range of Class 4, 5 and 7 vehicles
- Set up accessories and specific equipment on the vehicles
- Ensure appropriate work logs are kept for all vehicles, all job cards and service sheets are completed in a timely manner
- Working alongside a qualified Technician/Mentor learning how to carry out repairs according to industry procedures in a safe and responsible manner
- To attain high levels of morale and focus to ensure the highest possible levels of productive efficiency, quality of workmanship and production finish in order to sustain growth in customer confidence in the service provided by Broxtowe Borough Council
- To represent Broxtowe Borough Council in a professional manner when dealing with internal and external customers
As a Heavy Vehicle Apprentice, you will gain an understanding and knowledge of the following:
- The fundamentals of Heavy Vehicle technologies including; Heavy Vehicle chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension systems etc.
- How to service, inspect and maintain vehicles and trailers to the expected standards and the importance of safety inspection and maintenance schedules to meet Operator’s (O) licence and legal obligations
- The types and associated characteristics of Heavy Vehicles and their configurations and applications
- Diagnosing principles and logical problem solving techniques related to Heavy Vehicles
- Be thorough and pay attention to detail
- The ability to use your initiative
- Analytical thinking skills
- Persistence and determination
- The ability to work well within a small team and with customers
- Be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
We want to identify those people that are ambitious and demonstrate a willingness to learn, who are excited by the prospect of working in the automotive industry and want to become experts in their technical field.
Key personal qualities to demonstrate include:
- A willingness to learn
- Mechanical interest
- Personal responsibility and resilience
- Problem solving
Things to consider
Broxtowe Borough Council value their staff and colleagues consistently investing in training and development for all employees and offer a wide range of benefits including annual leave allowances including access to the Nottinghamshire Pension Fund. You will have access to a range of discounts including local and high street stores through Brock’s Benefits and half-price leisure centre memberships.
Holding a Grade 4/C and above (or equivalent) in GCSE English and Maths would be advantageous but not essential.
Broxtowe Borough Council believe in delivering a high quality and extensive Apprenticeship Programme to you in which will help you develop and achieve. On successful completion of the Apprentice Programme, Broxtowe Borough Council ideally look to continue to develop and progress you within the business.
Remit Group Limited
Training to be provided
This is a Heavy Vehicle Technician Apprenticeship, delivered by, Remit Group.
Training is delivered on a block release basis at the Remit Academy in Derby.
This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Mon - Fri) over the 3-year duration of the course. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks at the workplace, giving 1-2-1 information, advice and guidance.
As a result you will achieve the following:
- Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician
- Functional Skills in English & maths (if required)
Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician
When you complete your application form please use the last page to tell us why you are interested in vehicle maintenance and what projects you’ve completed (eg what you have done on your own or others’ cars or motorbikes and/or, what experience you have of working with heavy vehicles).
Please quote reference no: TMT150
Closing date: Wednesday 25 March 2020 at 5.00 pm
Why join us?
The Council has five GREAT values which represent our standards and expectations of how we’ll work.
As a disability confident employer and an organisation that is committed to equal opportunities, we welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The Council embraces flexible ways of working to ensure that we can attract the best talent and experience and get the most from our employees. Whilst meeting the needs of our residents is a priority and we can’t guarantee we can accept all flexible working requests, we are happy to discuss your options when you apply for a job with us.
As a Broxtowe Borough Council employee you can enjoy many benefits including a generous pension fund, loyalty awards and family friendly policies to help you balance your work and family life, as well as discounts and offers as part of our employee benefits scheme.