- Post Ref: TMT431 - Gardening Apprentice
Post Ref: TMT431 - Gardening Apprentice
Are you interested in earning money and at the same time gaining a nationally recognised vocational qualification? Broxtowe Council is committed to improving the environment for future generations by managing our parks and green spaces and we are looking to appoint a Gardening Apprentice in our Parks and Environment team.
The work will involve grass cutting, maintaining shrubs and hedges, tree and shrub planting and maintenance of formal bedding areas. You will be provided with the opportunity to have a hands on role working with our tree team and our cemetery maintenance team.
This exciting Apprenticeship programme will be based at Kimberley Depot in Kimberley, Nottingham and will provide you with the opportunity to: -
- Work in all of the green spaces the Council is responsible for throughout the borough. This includes Green Flag Parks and Local Nature Reserves
- Use a wide variety of tools, equipment and machinery.
- Identify different types of plants and learn how they grow and are maintained
- Learn about the importance of health and safety
- Learn more about what the Council does and the services it provides for the people living, working and visiting the area
During your apprenticeship you will undertake a level 2 Horticulture and Landscape Operative Apprenticeship training course as detailed below:
As part of your training you will be also able to gain additional qualifications in Emergency First Aid and the Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides.
At the end of the apprenticeship you will be ideally placed to continue your career in the horticultural industry with past apprentices having obtained full time positions working for the Council.
The ideal candidate would be:
- Proactive, enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Able to work in a team
- Have English and Maths GCSEs at grades A-C/4-9 or equivalent
- Someone who can represent our ’GREAT’ values as a Council
In addition to the above the successful candidate will be entitled to the following attractive benefits:
- A competitive salary
- The opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
- 27 days’ annual leave per year plus Bank Holidays
- Gym membership discount at Liberty Leisure
- Access to a benefits package offering discounts on supermarkets, cinema tickets, high street and online retailer
When you complete your application form please use the last page to tell us why you are interested in gardening and what gardening projects you have completed.
Please quote reference no: TMT431
Why join us?
The Council has five GREAT values which represent our standards and expectations of how we’ll work.
As a disability confident employer and an organisation that is committed to equal opportunities, we welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The Council embraces flexible ways of working to ensure that we can attract the best talent and experience and get the most from our employees. Whilst meeting the needs of our residents is a priority and we can’t guarantee we can accept all flexible working requests, we are happy to discuss your options when you apply for a job with us.
As a Broxtowe Borough Council employee you can enjoy many benefits including a generous pension fund, loyalty awards and family friendly policies to help you balance your work and family life, as well as discounts and offers as part of our employee benefits scheme.