Beeston Square Site To Close Due To Ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic

Beeston Square Site To Close Due To Ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic

31/03/20 - Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and social distancing guidelines from the government, Bowmer + Kirkland (B+K) has taken the decision to close the site of Broxtowe Borough Council’s Beeston Square development by end of business on Tuesday 31st March.

The mixed-use development forms part of the regeneration of the area and will include an eight-screen cinema, 132 new homes and a range of food and drink outlets. Artist impression of what Beeston Square will look like with 8 screen cinema complex

Mike Atkinson, contracts manager at Bowmer + Kirkland said: “In light of the current world pandemic, B+K has decided that productive work on site will be suspended with immediate effect, due to it being impossible to adhere to the social distancing guidelines from the government.

“We will be carrying out a stringent site close down procedure for the next 48 hours ensuring that the site is left and maintained in a safe and secure condition until such time as the risk has reduced to an acceptable level with manageable procedures in place.”

Councillor Greg Marshall from Broxtowe Borough Council’s project board said: “The primary concern is the safety and wellbeing of Bowmer + Kirkland’s site workers and our members of staff. It is important that we do all we can in maintaining social distancing when and where possible. We are still fully committed to this exciting development, but we will only resume work when it is appropriate to do so.

“Work had been able to continue for a few days further because it was purely exterior and allowed social distancing to be observed. However, the next phase of construction does not permit this.   

“We very much look forward to continuing our working relationship with Bowmer + Kirkland when development resumes in what is a fundamentally important project for both the town and the local community.”

Brian Gilligan, director for Melcorpo Group added: “We fully support the decision to stop development work at the Beeston Square site. The health and safety of all concerned with the works is obviously of paramount importance at the moment. We are of course looking forward to opening the cinema in the fullness of time and working with the council to ensure that the cinema is the roaring success that we are sure it will be.

In the meantime, B+K will maintain a close liaison with their supply chain to help maintain readiness for resumption with minimal disruption. 

For more information on the scheme and to view the designs, visit our Beeston Square page.


Contact
Corporate Communications
tel: 0115 917 3825