- Prestigious Green Flag Awards raised at five of Broxtowe’s parks and open spaces
- Kingfishers, sausages and spooky goings on: Winners Announced For D.H. Lawrence Writing Competition
- Love Stapleford? Join our Board
- New Exhibition Celebrates Eastwood’s Local Heroes
- Join us for some summer fun as Play Days return to Broxtowe
- Winners Announced For Children’s Writing Competition that Went Global
- Olympic launch for cycling in Stapleford
Prestigious Green Flag Awards raised at five of Broxtowe’s parks and open spaces
The five spaces that received a Green Flag award are:
- Colliers Wood
- Bramcote Hills
- Alexandrina Plantation Nature Reserve
- Brinsley Headstocks
- Bramcote Old Church Tower
Bramcote Hills Park has been awarded a Green Flag every year since 2006 and Colliers Wood has received one every year since 2008. Colliers Wood in particular received glowing praise this year. Judges commented that the good standard of management and maintenance was clear to see from the outset and described the space as an example to many parks and green spaces up and down the country. They also praised our teams and volunteers for their hard work.
The Green Flag Award scheme, managed by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy recognises and rewards well-managed parks and green spaces, setting the standard for the management of green spaces internationally.
Portfolio Holder for Environment, Councillor Helen Skinner, said “The news that these sites have achieved the Green Flag accreditation is testament to the hard work and dedication of the teams, as well as the Friends Groups and our community that help to manage and develop these green spaces so that everyone can enjoy them. It is wonderful to have the care and effort that we put into our green spaces officially acknowledged as we ensure they are fit for our residents.”
Sites and management plans are appraised by experienced judges in the management of green spaces. All sites are scored across various areas which reflect on how it is being managed, ensuring that it is a safe welcoming place for people to come and visit. A Green Flag is a sign to the public that the space boasts very high standards, is well maintained and has good facilities.
A full list of Green Flag Award-winning parks and green spaces is available here.