- Kimberley Levelling Up Project takes major step forward as planning permission is approved at historic site
- New Changing Places Toilets Now Open in Beeston
- £240,000 of UKSPF grant funding available for Broxtowe Community Projects
- £30000 Improvements to Long Lane Recreation Ground, Attenborough
- 1800 trees to be planted in Archers Field Recreation Ground
- Step into Christmas with the return of Broxtowe’s Christmas Lights Switch Ons!
- Songs wanted for international music project
- 66% reduction in burglaries reported in Eastwood thanks to Safer Streets
- £45,650 investment in Eastwood sports and cycling
- 800 Free Trees to Be Given Away to Broxtowe Residents
- Volunteers Recognised at Broxtowe Voluntary Awards Evening
- Broxtowe Stands Up to Violence Against Women
Kimberley Levelling Up Project takes major step forward as planning permission is approved at historic site
Broxtowe Borough Council has granted planning permission, which includes:
- The creation of an eastern earth ramp at the Viaduct.
- The creation of a cycle path and pedestrian access on this new ramp.
- A Visitors Centre which will include educational facilities, a shop, toilets, and a seating area in the summer.
- Cycle racks.
- Car Parking facilities for visitors.
Leader of Broxtowe Borough Council and Portfolio Holder for Economic Development and Asset Management, Councillor Milan Radulovic said: “Bennerley Viaduct is one of the most iconic sites in the local area and the approval of plans to enhance its offering mark a major milestone in our investment plans for Kimberley. As well as improving accessibility and creating jobs these developments will help ensure that local people and tourists can learn more about the heritage of our area, preserving it for future generations.
The Council has worked closely with the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct on the proposals for the site and as part of the wider Levelling Up Project and it is fantastic to see such an engaged and committed group working to improve the local area. It’s a really exciting time for Kimberley and I look forward to seeing this and our other projects come to life over the coming months and years.”
Chair of Trustees at the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct, John Scruton said: "The Friends of Bennerley Viaduct are thrilled to receive the positive planning decision from Broxtowe Borough Council. We are grateful to the Council, friends and the public for their support on this application. And we want to thank the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and their team for the opportunities this Levelling Up funding brings. We look forward to working with our partners to turn this ambitious plan into reality."
MP for Broxtowe, Darren Henry said "I am delighted that permission has been granted for the new Visitor Centre, Car Park, Bicycle Racks and Eastern Ramp at Bennerley Viaduct. The improvements are being delivered as part of the £16.5 million Kimberley Levelling Up Bid. The Eastern Ramp is something I have long campaigned for, it will increase accessibility to the 'Iron Giant' and mean that more of my constituents will be able to enjoy the incredible views, as well as making the ramp easier for those with pushchairs or bikes.
I very much look forward to seeing the work completed and the ways in which our community benefit from these improvements."
Chris Boardman of Active Travel England visited Bennerley Viaduct earlier this year to highlight the site as a key part of connecting Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire cycle routes.
As well as the improvements to Bennerley Viaduct, the Kimberley Levelling Up Fund includes a town centre improvement project with construction of a new business and community hub, small business grants and lighting equipment for town centre displays to drive visitor footfall, as well as new sports facilities. Full details of the projects can be found at www.broxtowe.gov.uk/kimberley
The projects have been made possible with support from the Government’s Levelling Up Round 2 funding.