Stapleford Town Deal
It was announced in September 2019 that £3.6bn is being made available to regenerate over 100 towns across the UK. Stapleford has been chosen as one of the towns to receive funding. Each town is set to receive up to £25m worth of investment in a number of areas.
The Government published a prospectus in October 2019 setting out the three areas of regeneration, the Towns Fund will focus on:
- urban regeneration, planning and land use,
- skills and enterprise infrastructure and
More information on the Stapleford Town Deal
- How will Stapleford get a Town Deal?
- Projects/Have Your Say
- Future milestones
- Town Deal Executive Board
- Town Deal Stakeholder Group
- The Town Deal area
How will Stapleford get a Town Deal?
The Council have convened an Executive Town Deal board that will be tasked with creating and submitting a Town Investment Plan (TIP) for Stapleford by 'Summer 2020'. This will include a programme of work to be delivered by the agreed Towns Fund.
A Stakeholder Group has also been put in place to feed in to the Executive board, to support the production of this plan. Alongside this we have consulted with local residents, businesses and other local organisations as to their own ideas and the ideas generated by the two boards.
As the Town Investment Plan for Stapleford develops, there will be further opportunities to feedback on the ideas and the delivery plan, which will set out how, where and when any included projects will take place.
For the first phase of our consultation, we asked residents, workers and local businesses from Stapleford to think about ways to improve the area. It was asked suggestions were not limited to the town centre and rather looked at improving the whole of Stapleford. Where it was possible, we asked that any ideas submitted were aligned to at least one of the three Town Fund objectives.
The second phase of our consultation plans we asked residents, workers and local businesses from Stapleford and the wider area to comment on the ideas generated through the masterplanning exercise that has been carried out over the last few months. This took in to account the consultation at the beginning of the process as well as input from both boards.
After extensive consultation with residents, businesses and other stakeholders, our master planning team have put together three proposed projects. More information on each project can be found below.
Project 1: Cycle infrastructure
To reduce usage of cars within Stapleford and to encourage the greater use of sustainable transport, we propose to improve and add to the town’s existing cycle infrastructure.
The core plans include:
- Connecting Stapleford to the National Cycle Network 67
- Enhance/provide new cycle facilities in the town such as secure bike parking
- Implement signage/wayfinding around the town to improve awareness of cycle routes
- Implement a Cycle Network Route that connects the northern and southern fringes of the Stapleford to the Town Centre
- Connect Stapleford to Toton Tram station and the future East Midlands Hub Station
Project 2: Town Centre Redevelopment
Reinvigorating the Town Centre, we propose to regenerate an existing building in the Town Centre into a multi-use development space. By creating a central focus in Stapleford with a diverse offer, we aim to encourage increased footfall and stimulate inclusive growth and prosperity.
This new development will provide space for:
- Community activities,
- Small retail units,
- Start-up businesses,
- Food and beverage stores and
- Public realm enhancements.
The nature of this development means we are able to adjust the offer depending on market demand and local need. In addition, to increase accessibility and encourage footfall in the Town Centre, we propose to redevelop a currently underused building in to a flexible use site for market stalls and/or car parking spaces.
Providing a high quality, pedestrian-friendly Town Centre, we are looking to implement traffic calming measures within the High Street. We aim to encourage residents to travel into and around the Town Centre through sustainable forms of transport including through cycling or walking.
Project 3: Community Leisure Development
We propose to enhance the recreational offer in Stapleford. Providing space for community events and increase the current provision of leisure activities, we will provide a new, purpose-built pavilion facility.
The full scope of the proposed intervention includes:
- A Community Leisure Hub
- A learn to ride or pump cycle track
- Adventure play area
Supporting the local area, the Community Leisure Hub will facilitate a range of community activity such as fitness classes, yoga, community exhibitions, dancing, club groups, elections, meetings and event hire. Additional facilities may include multi-purpose rooms, bar/café, kitchen, offices, computer room, cycle storage, changing rooms, supporting ancillary spaces.
To facilitate ideas generation and ensure people have the opportunity to continuously feed into their respective Town Deal process, the Government launched the #MyTown campaign, which involves an online MyTowns portal (opens in a new window) for all stakeholders to access and leave their feedback. You are still able to leave your feedback via the link highlighted.
The current timeline set out in the Government’s Towns Fund Prospectus
All Town Deal Boards convened (including the publication of town boundary)
End of January 2020
Further Government guidance published
Submission cohort for the Town Investment Plan
End of January 2021
Town Deals agreed
Further to these milestones, the Town Deal board have an evolving work programme with multiple opportunities for the public to directly input into the Town Deal process and production of the final Town Investment Plan (TIP). Thishas been done through extensive online consultations given the current Covid 19 restrictions as well as further written communications and press releases.
The Council have convened the Town Deal Executive Board inline with the Government published Towns Fund Prospectus. The inaugural meeting took place on Friday 10th January 2020. The board meets monthly by default. There was slight interruption due to changes in acceptable working practices in response to the Covid 19 outbreak.
Future meeting dates are as follows:
- Friday 9th October 2020
- Friday 13th November 2020
- Friday 18th December 2020
- Friday 15th January 2020
Meeting minutes and summary documents
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 10th January 2020 (pdf.) (283KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 17th January 2020 (pdf.) (277KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 14th February 2020 (pdf.) (520KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 13th March 2020 (pdf.) (509KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 1st May 2020 (pdf.) (402KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 29th May 2020 (pdf.) (516KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 26th June 2020 (pdf.) (528KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Friday 24th July 2020 (pdf.) (432KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes FINAL - Wednesday 12th August 2020 (pdf.) (395KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Minutes Final - Friday 4th September 2020 (pdf.) (433KB) (Opens in a new window)
Further supporting information
- Executive Board Composition (pdf.) (316KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Member Profiles (pdf.) (560KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Executive Board Terms of Reference (pdf.) (124KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Code of Conduct (pdf.) (123KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Statement of Communication and Engagement (pdf.) (233KB) (Opens in a new window)
On the announcement of the Towns Fund, the Government used the 'Stapleford BUASD' boundary provided by the Office of National Statistics, to initially define Stapleford. This is the geographic area to be represented by the Stapleford Town Deal board, where investments detailed in the TIP will occur.
Click to view an interactive map of the Town Deal area. This map will see additional features added over the Town Deal process - Interactive Map (Opens New Window)