Cost of living

Cost of living

Information on support you can access to help with the cost of living.

The Government has announced a range of measures to assist with the rising cost of living.

Full details about these measures can be found in the GOV UK Cost of living support factsheet (Opens in a new window). and the Help For Households website (Opens in a new window).

Maximising your income / benefits

Universal Credit (UC)

The DWP want to encourage people who could be better off financially to consider moving to UC. They estimate that more than half of current claimants will be better off. 

Find out more about Universal Credit (Opens in a new window).

Pension Credit

This is one of the most under-claimed benefits by those of pension-age. If you are entitled to Pension Credit this can lead to additional help with Council Tax and free TV licences for over 75's. To check if you, or a family member might be entitled to Pension Credit, visit the Pension Credit calculator (Opens in a new window).

Extra support to help with rising bills will be offered to more than 14,000 Nottinghamshire pensioners(Opens in a New Window) who currently receive Pension Credit. Support will be administered by Nottinghamshire County Council.

Housing Benefit

If you are pension-age and live in rented accommodation and are on a low income you may be able to claim help with your rent via Housing Benefit.

Council Tax Support

If you pay Council Tax and are on a low income you may be able to claim Council Tax Support.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are in private rented or Housing Association accommodation and your rent is not covered in full by Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit, the council has limited funding to support some shortfalls via our Discretionary Housing Payment scheme.

Disability Cost of Living Payment

Six million disabled people in the UK will receive their one-off £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment from 20 September 2022, to help with the rising cost of living. Those being paid a qualifying disability benefit will be paid automatically by their usual payment method from 20 September 2022, with most payments being made over the next few weeks.

For anyone currently awaiting a decision on a disability benefit claim who subsequently receives an award, the Disability Cost of Living Payment will be made automatically as long the qualifying benefit covers 25 May 2022.

For disabled people on low-incomes, this payment comes on top of means-tested Cost of Living payments, £400 for all households to help with energy bills, and an extra £150 for properties in Council Tax bands A to D in England.

For more information, go to the Cost of Living Payment(Opens in a New Window) page on

General benefit advice

For all general benefits advice go to:

Managing your money / expenditure

If you need help to manage your money and general budgeting advice, there is a useful tool available on the Citizens Advice website - Work out your budget - Citizens Advice (Opens in a new window)

If you are experiencing difficulties with your household energy costs in the first instance, please discuss this with your provider. The Citizens Advice website also contains some useful information regarding grants and benefits available to help pay energy bills. 

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills - Citizens Advice (Opens in a new window) or find out about Council Tax and energy price increases.

View our Energy Saving Tips.

If you are having difficulties with your water payments, Severn Trent's Big Difference scheme (Opens in a new window) is available for those on a low income.

Financial Health and Debt

If you are struggling with managing your money or need advice about financial support and benefits, the following organisations may be able to help. The important thing is not to delay in making contact and getting the advice you need.

Housing options

If you need other housing advice or are homeless or at risk of being made homeless, the Housing Options Team can provide help and support. Visit our Housing Options and Homelessness page.

Get help with summer holiday childcare costs

Families can use Tax-Free Childcare (Opens in a new window) to help pay for childcare costs this summer.

Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777