House to House Collections Licence

House to House Collections Licence

A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939. House to house collections, include collecting in public houses, factories and offices as well as houses, to collect money or goods on the basis that part of the proceeds will go to a charity.

Apply Online

Apply for a house to house collections licence (Opens in a New Window)

Supply a return for a house to house collection (Opens in a New Window)

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must be a fit and proper person.

Regulation Summary

Please view the House to House Collections Act 1939 and the House to House Regulations 1947 & 1963.

Application Evaluation Process

We issue permits enabling charities to collect goods or money from door to door. We do not issue permits where there is commercial profit. The application must be in the form provided by Broxtowe Borough Council

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Broxtowe Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.  Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, may, appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.  Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of refusal.

Licence Holder Redress 

Please contact us in the first instance.  A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.  Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of refusal

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licence holders may at any time apply to the authority for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may, within 21 days of being notified of the imposition of, or the refusal to vary, the term, condition or restriction in question, or of the revocation, appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.

Please contact the Licensing Department in the first instance.

Other Redress


Trade Associations

Institute of Fundraising

tel: 0115 917 3241