Council Tax and Energy Price Increases
This rebate will not be a reduction in the amount of council tax you are required to pay, but a £150 one-off payment to be made directly to a person liable to pay council tax subject to the following qualifying criteria.
Who will qualify?
Properties that are your main home and banded A-D or Band E with a disabled relief. You can find out what band you are in online. Second homes and unoccupied properties are excluded.
Properties that are exempt from Council Tax but will still qualify for the rebate include:
- Severally Mentally Impaired
- Occupied Annexe
- Occupied by persons under the age of 18
The dwelling you occupy has a council tax band on 1st April 2022.
Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme
A fund has been provided to Councils to help lower income households who may not qualify for the Energy Bill Rebate. This will include households are on lower incomes or in receipt of the Council Tax Support.
Broxtowe Borough Council’s scheme will support this in receipt of Council Tax Support in the following ways:
- All Household in Band E-H that receive Council Tax Support will receive a payment of £150.
- All households in Band A-H that are receiving Council Tax Support will receive a top up payment of up to maximum of £20.
You can ready the Council's Policy(.pdf)(410KB)(Opens in a New Window) for more information.
How will I receive the rebate?
The Council has made all payments to those that pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit. However, there are a number of exceptions. These are:
- If the name on the bank account of your direct debit does not match the name of the liable person for Council Tax. The Council has written to all of these households and advised them of the need to apply online using the application form below.
- If the Council has not been able to collect a Direct Debit. The Council will not be able to make a payment until after a Direct Debit for your Council Tax has been collected. This is to ensure that the payment is made to the correct account. Payment is usually made within three weeks of the date the Direct Debit was collected.
- The Council has identified a number of accounts with name discrepancies. Where it is felt that the name discrepancy is as a result of a name change only, such as one being a maiden name, the Energy Rebate has subsequently been processed and will show in bank accounts by 6th June 2022.
If you don't pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit
If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit then you will be required to complete the Council Tax Rebate Scheme Application Form(Opens in a New Window).
You will need evidence of your bank account and the details from your Council Tax bill.