Housing Benefits Revisions & Appeals

If you don't understand a Housing Benefit decision you can ask for a further explanation, or if you think the decision we made is wrong, you can as us to look at it again or make an appeal.

When you write to us you can:

  • ask for a further explanation, this is called a ‘statement of reasons’

  • ask us to look at our decision again, this is called a ‘reconsideration’

  • ask to appeal to an independent tribunal

You must tell us:

  • which decision you would like us to explain or look at again

  • why you think the decision is wrong

  • if there are other factors we need to take into consideration

You must write to us within one month of the date on your decision letter. 

We may be able to consider late reconsideration requests or appeals made up to 13 months from the date on your decision letter.  You would need to ask us to consider a late request and give reasons for it being late.

In certain circumstances the Council are unable to consider an appeal if a person is appealing against rules or regulations used for calculating Housing Benefit entitlement.  

What happens next

If we agree the decision is wrong we’ll make corrections to your benefit entitlement and send you a new benefit decision letter.

If we feel the decision is correct, we’ll write to you confirming this. You can then appeal the decision if you think our decision is wrong.

We'll send your appeal to the HM Courts and Tribunals Service (Opens in a New Window), who are independent to the Council, who can strike out an appeal if it is considered the appeal has been made against a non-appealable decision.