Temporary Use and Occasional Use Notices

Information relating to Temporary Use Notices (TUNS) and Occasional Use Notices (OUNS).

 Temporary Use Notices (TUNS)

A temporary Use Notice (TUN) can be issued for the temporary use of premises for gambling where there is no Gambling Act 2005 premises licence in place. Premises that might be suitable for a TUN might include hotels, conference centres and sporting venues.


Are You Eligible?

A TUN may only be granted to a person or company that holds a relevant operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission. For example, the holder of a betting operating licence could apply to the licensing authority to provide betting facilities at a snooker tournament. The notice must be given to the licensing authority three months in advance of the event.

There is a limit to how many temporary use days that can be applied for in a 12 month period. More than one TUN application can be made for a premises, but the total number of days combined cannot go over 21 days in any 12 month period. If it does, a counter- notice will be issued that will call the gambling to cease. It will be an offence for the applicant to continue offering facilities for gambling for more than the allowed 21 days.

How We Process Your Application

Your TUNS must be sent to:

Licensing Department

Broxtowe Borough Council

Foster Avenue



A copy of the Notice must also be served on the Gambling Commission, the police and HM Revenues and Customs.

Find out more about Fees

Find out more about Appeals and Complaints

Occasional Use Notices

Occasional Use Notices may be utilised by licensed betting operators who have the appropriate permission from the Gambling Commission. They may apply to use tracks for short periods of betting for events which are of a temporary or infrequent nature, such as Point to Point meetings etc, where there is no Gambling Act 2005 premises licence in place.

Occasional Use Notices are limited to one day only with no more than eight permitted in any 12 month period. Consecutive days can be specified on the notice but the overall limit of eight days in a 12 month period must not be exceeded.

The Notice, which should specify which day(s) it relates to, must be served on the Council and copied to the police for the area in which the track is located.

There is no fee payable to the Council, but only persons or companies holding a betting operating licence from the Gambling Commission will be allowed to provide betting facilities during the period of notice.

tel: 0115 917 3241