Animal Boarding

Animal Boarding

To keep a boarding establishment (cattery or kennels) or to look after other peoples dogs within your own home you will need a licence from Broxtowe Borough Council.

Apply Online

(Licences run from 1st January until 31st December or part thereof)

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not have been disqualified from keeping a boarding establishment or a pet shop or been disqualified from

EUGO Logo links to EUGO Website (Opens in a New Window)

keeping animals.

Regulation Summary 

Please view the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963. This Authority has also adopted and extended model licence conditions for these premises.

Application Evaluation Process

A visit will be undertaken before the licence is issued. Fees will be payable for applications and conditions will be attached. If a Veterinary Advisor is used to inspect the premises these fees will be additional.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

New applications - no. If you have not heard from the authority in a reasonable time scale you should contact them.

Renewals - Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licence holders may at any time apply to us for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.

Other Redress


Trade Associations

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB)

Environmental Health
tel: 0115 917 3282