Terrorism and Extremism
The strategy is organised around four work streams, each comprising a number of key objectives:
- Pursue: to stop terrorist attacks;
- Prevent: to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism;
- Protect: to strengthen our protection against a terrorist attack; and
- Prepare: to mitigate the impact of a terrorist attack.
In terms of areas where local organisations and the public can make a difference, the Prevent aspect is key. Prevent is about identifying people who may be at risk of radicalisation and supporting them to change direction in a way that will help them. It is about working with communities to help them support vulnerable people and build resilience against groups or individuals who seek to create divisions and cause harm.
Prevent has three specific strategic objectives:
- Ideology - challenging the ideology that supports terrorism and those that support it.
- Individuals - protecting vulnerable people from getting involved in or supporting terrorism.
- Institutions - supporting sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation.
Prevent is not about spying on people or stigmatising and criminalising individuals and communities. It is about working with communities to identify individuals who may be susceptible to being drawn toward a path of violent extremism. The aim is to provide support to such individuals to divert them away from violent extremism before they commit any criminal acts.
If you have any concerns about a potential Prevent referral or situation, or would like further advice, please contact the Nottinghamshire Police Prevent Team at email@example.com or on 101 Ext 2962/2963. Alternatively, you visit Prevent's website. (Opens in a New Window)
Also, if you see any material on-line which you feel may be promoting terrorism or extremism, please report it using the link below. This can be done anonymously.