Cooling Towers

Cooling Towers

If you control non-domestic premises, you must ensure that you notify the local authority of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises. You must notify Broxtowe Borough Council of any changes to the notification information in writing within one month of the change. If the device ceases to be a notifiable device, you must notify Broxtowe Borough Council in writing as soon as possible.

Apply Online

Apply for a cooling tower notification (Opens in a New Window)

Notify a cooling tower notification change in circumstances (Opens in a New Window)


Eligibility Criteria

No provision within the legislation.

Regulation Summary 

Please view the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992.

Application Evaluation Process

Applications should detail a plan and location of cooling towers/evaporative condensers on site. You must notify Broxtowe Borough Council if any of the towers/condensers are decommissioned.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Broxtowe Borough Council by the end of the target completion period. You will receive an acknowledgement and the details of your notification will be published on the Cooling Towers Register. This information will also be shared with the Health Protection Agency and the Health and Safety Executive.

Failed Application Redress

Broxtowe Borough Council cannot refuse your notification.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If you believe an entry on the cooling tower register is incorrect you should contact Broxtowe Borough Council.

Trade Associations


tel: 0115 917 3241