House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you rent out a house in multiple occupation (HMO) which is occupied by five of more people forming two or more households, you will require a licence from Broxtowe Borough Council. Once issued, a licence will apply to the premises for five years unless there is a change of licence holder, when a new application will be required.

Apply Online

Apply for a homes in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence (Opens in a New Window)

Change in circumstances for a homes in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence (Opens in a New Window)

Are you Eligible?

You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.

In determining if a person is fit and proper for the purposes of the Act, the council must take into account:

  • Any previous convictions relating to violence, sexual offences, drugs and fraud

  • Contravention of any law relating to housing or landlord and tenant matters

  • Whether the person has been found guilty of unlawful discrimination

  • Whether the person has contravened any Approved Code of Practice

It is, however, a matter for the council to determine the relevance of these considerations (or other matters it considers to be relevant) in deciding whether or not a person is fit and proper.

How We Process Your Application

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • any proposed manager, having control of the house, is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

A full inspection of the property will be undertaken prior to a licence being issued.

Your application will be processed within 3 months. 

If you do not receive the license, you will be not be able to trade.

Find out more about Fees

Find out more about Appeals and Complaints


View the Housing Act 2004 (Opens in a New Window)

View the Houses in Multiple Occupation and Residential Property Licensing Reform Guidance (Opens in a New Window)

Privacy Notice

View the Council's Privacy Notice

Environmental Health
tel: 0115 917 3485