Scrap Metal Dealers

Scrap Metal Dealers

Any individual or business dealing with scrap metal must be licensed with the local authority where they collect. This means a collector can hold a licence with several councils. Any changes (including ceasing activities) to a registered business must also be notified. The Licence ceases after 3 years unless a further application has been made.

Apply Online

Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence (Opens in a New Window)

Change a scrap metal dealer licence (Opens in a New Window)

EUGO Logo links to EUGO Website

Eligibility Criteria

Restriction on the holding and storage of scrap metal may be imposed by a Court.  

Regulation Summary 

Please view the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.  There are fees for licence applications.  If an application is refused only a small portion of the fee is returned.

Application Evaluation Process

Dealers are required to keep specified records of scrap metal movements.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

No. This means that you will not be able to trade until your application has been determined.

Failed Application Redress

Appeals can be made to the local Magistrate's Court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

For complaints regarding noise, pollution, etc. please contact us.

Trade Associations


tel: 0115 917 3241