Council Tax Revisions & Appeals

If you don’t understand a Council Tax Support decision you can ask for a further explanation, or if you think the decision we made is wrong, you can write to us and ask for a statement of reasons and/or a revision.

You must tell us:

  • which decision you would like us to explain or appeal

  • why you think the decision is wrong

  • if there are other factors we need to take into consideration We have two months to look at the decision once we’ve received your form

What happens next

If we agree the decision is wrong we'll make corrections to your award and send you a new decision notice and Council Tax bill.

If we think the decision is correct we’ll write to you confirming this and you can then appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service by completing their online appeal form. (Opens in a New Window) You must do this within two months from the date that we responded to your initial appeal.  The tribunal may allow a later appeal if a delay has been caused by circumstances beyond your control.

In certain circumstances the Council are unable to consider a revision if a person is appealing against rules or regulations used for calculating Council Tax Support entitlement. The Tribunal Service can also strike out an appeal if it is considered the appeal has been made against a non-appealable decision.