Local Council Tax Support Scheme

Since 1 April 2013, local authorities in England have been responsible for running their own local schemes for help with council tax. These are called Council Tax Support schemes.

The Local Council Tax Support scheme, introduced on 1st April 2013, states working age applicants (people who are aged between 18 years and State Pension Qualifying Age, who had nothing to pay under the previous national Council Tax Benefit scheme would now have some Council Tax to pay. This is because the Government reduced the grant it pays to Councils to fund assistance with Council Tax Support.

Following a period of consultation, the Council chose to fund the cut in the central government grant and not pass this on to vulnerable and low income households.

Who is protected?

If you're a pensioner and people who fall into the vulnerable group, the government says you should still be able to get the same level of Council Tax Support as you would have done if you were getting Council Tax Benefit.

This means that if your income is less than an amount the government says you need to live on you will be entitled to maximum Council Tax Support.

For further information please view our  Local Council Tax Support Scheme FAQS. (.pdf) (17.4KB) (Opens in a New Window)

Apply for Council Tax Support (Opens in a New Window)