Your Home

Your Home

This page contains useful information for tenants and frequently asked questions relating to your home.

What is a tenancy agreement?

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document.  It sets out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant of Broxtowe Borough Council and also Broxtowe Borough Council's rights and responsibilities as your landlord.

You will be asked to sign your tenancy agreement when you sign-up to a new property.  It is important that you keep this document in a safe place as you may need to refer to it throughout your tenancy.

How do I change the name on my tenancy agreement, due to separation, marriage, death etc?

Please contact the Neighbourhoods Services team with details of the changes you wish to make.  A member of the team may contact you if they require further information.

How can I get help with maintaining my garden?

The Council offers assistance to tenants who are not able to maintain their garden, through the Garden Maintenance Scheme, which applies to tenants who are over 60 and/or are disabled.

The scheme offers multiple cuts of gardens and hedges throughout the year.  You will be provided with information about when the cuts will take place when you have been accepted onto the scheme.

You may be asked to provide proof of eligibility to support and verify your application.

If you live in Retirement Living, your gardens will be maintained through the scheme.

If you would like more information on the scheme, or would like to register please contact us on 0115 917 7777.

I want to get a pet, do I need permission?

The Council understands that tenants may wish to keep pets in their homes and that pets are an important part of their lives.  However, the Council does request that tenants who wish to keep pets in their home put in a request before getting a pet.

To make a request to keep a pet in your home please email Housing, using the details below, including your name, address and type of animal you wish to keep.  Your request will be responding to in writing.

The Council will not reasonably withhold permission for requests it receives but if you live on certain Retirement Living Schemes, permission will be withheld.

If you would like any further advice please contact us on 0115 917 7777.

I want to make alterations / improvements to my home, what do I need to do?

The Council understands that tenants wish to make alterations to their property to make their home their own.

However, your must make a request to make alterations by emailing Housing using the details below.  Please include your name, address and type of work you want to carry out in your request.  The Housing Department will respond to your request in writing.

If you require further advice, please contact us on 0115 917 7777.

How do I end my tenancy?

You can end your tenancy by speaking to the Allocations team in the Housing section using the contact details below, who will take your details and ask you to complete a 'tenancy termination' form (which can either be posted or requested at Beeston Council reception). Once your tenancy has ended, keys can be returned in person to the Broxtowe Council Offices in Beeston or by registered post.

Customer Services
tel: 0115 917 7777
tel: 0115 917 7777