How we’re protecting and enhancing biodiversity in Broxtowe and what you can do to help.
What is biodiversity?
Biodiversity is the variety of living things - whether that’s plants, animals, fungi or other living organisms and the ecosystems they live in.
The importance of biodiversity
Biodiversity is under threat due to:
- Habitat loss and species loss
- The introduction of invasive species
- Exploitation of natural resources and minerals
- Poor water and air quality
- Loss of soils
- Climate change
Conserving and enhancing Broxtowe’s biodiversity helps:
- Our health and wellbeing – providing spaces we can relax, learn and exercise
- The local economy – we benefit from the environment as it enables us to produce a variety of food, medicines, and other products.
- Environment – it can help to absorb some of these harmful greenhouse gases and reduce the impacts of climate change.
Protecting and enhancing the natural environment
Find out more on our Caring for Green Spaces page.