Discretionary Housing Payment

If you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but need extra help with rent or moving costs then you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Discretionary Housing Payment is short term, temporary financial assistance towards housing costs to allow time for the recipient to make alternative arrangements to ensure their housing costs are met in the long-term. A payment cannot be made above the eligible rent used in calculating Housing Benefit and Universal Credit.

A person must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (with the Housing Element) when applying for this type of payment.

What the payment can cover

  • reductions in Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

  • rent deposits or rent in advance (must be applied for prior to signing and moving in)

  • moving costs (must be applied for prior to moving)

What the payment cannot cover

  • service charges not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

  • increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears

  • certain sanctions and reductions in benefit

  • shortfalls in Housing Benefit caused by recovery of overpayments

How to claim

Complete the application form (.docx) (365KB) (Opens in a New Window) and send to the Council Offices. If you need help completing the application form contact our Customer Services Section or visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. (Opens in a New Window)

If you're not sure whether we would pay you Discretionary Housing Payments, claim anyway and we'll tell you.

We’ll write to you with our decision and the reason for it. If you disagree with our decision write to us within one month of the date on the decision letter, explaining why you don't agree with the decision. We'll then look at the decision again.