Motor Salvage

Motor Salvage

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 - This Act applies to those who operate as a Scrap Metal Dealer, Scrap Metal Collector or as a Motor Salvage Operator. All three will be combined into two new types of licence.

Existing Scrap Metals and Motor Salvage licence holders within Broxtowe will be able to re-apply for the new licence over a short period from 1st October. The Council will have up to December to decide on the application during which time they may continue trading. If you do not apply during this period you will not be able to continue to trade. 

New applicants will be able to apply from 1st October but will not be able to trade until the application is decided. There are two types of licence, a Site licence and a Mobile Collectors licence. 

Every person (or business) that collects scrap metal will be required to hold a licence from each local authority area they work in. This will mean a collector could hold multiple licences.

Apply Online

Eligibility Criteria


An applicant must not have any relevant convictions under the vehicle crime regulations, for metal theft or environmental crime. Current identification of the applicant must be provided and checked.

Regulation Summary 

Please view Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

Application Evaluation Process

An inspection and criminal convictions check will be undertaken before a registration is issued. Applications must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

No. It is in the public interest that Broxtowe Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Broxtowe Borough Council within a reasonable period you should get in touch.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a registration may appeal to the local magistrates' court. 

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. A registration holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If you have a complaint regarding noise, pollution, etc. you should contact Broxtowe Borough Council.

Trade Associations


tel: 0115 917 3241