An overpayment is an amount of benefit that has been paid, but for which there was no entitlement.

The Council has a duty to recover overpayments and may also decide to take criminal proceedings in respect of fraudulent overpayments.

Pay Online

Invoices can be paid online (Opens in a New Window)

Who is an overpayment recoverable from?

An overpayment is recoverable from either the person who caused the overpayment or the person who received the overpayment, this can be the tenant or the landlord

The overpayment may be recovered from future benefit payments or by issuing an invoice for payment.

If you are unable to repay the invoice in full or you wish to reduce the rate at which you are repaying an overpayment please complete a Means Enquiry form. (.pdf) (263KB) (Opens in a New Window)

Where an invoice remains unpaid the Council will take appropriate recovery action.

Recovery of an overpayment will not prejudice any criminal proceedings that may be taken by the Council in respect of fraudulent overpayments.

Is there a right of appeal?

A tenant/landlord can ask for a written statement of reasons for the recovery of an overpayment at any time or ask for a review/appeal the decision within one month of the decision notice.

Further Information

For further information on Overpayments, please contact the Customer Services Team using the telephone number shown below.

Customer Services
tel: 0115 917 7777