Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Information on Houses in Multiple Occupation in Broxtowe and how to licence a HMO.

What is a HMO?

A house in multiple occupation is a property which:

  • Has 3 or more unrelated people living there as at least 2 separate households – for example, 3 single people with their own rooms, or 2 couples each sharing a room
  • In which the 3 or more people living there share the same basic amenities, such as a kitchen or bathroom

This definition not only encompasses the traditional bedsit type accommodation but also any instances where people share any facilities. In cases of student accommodation it should be noted that each student constitutes a single household, therefore shared student houses fall under the definition of a HMO.

Find out more about HMOs and advice on responsibilities of landlords and resident rights and protections on Shelter's website. (Opens in a New Window)

HMO Licensing

Broxtowe Borough Council operates a mandatory HMO licensing scheme. 

Landlords must get a licence if the HMO has 5 or more unrelated people live in it who from 2 or more separate households.

HMOs don't need to be licensed if they are managed or owned by a housing association or co-operative, a council, a health service or a police or fire authority or if the HMO does not meet the threshold for requiring a licence. However, all HMOs need to comply with the rules and regulations of HMOs. Advice is available on the Shelter website.

For more information on licensing visit our HMO Licensing page.

Private Sector Housing
tel: 0115 917 3438