Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

The Licensing Act 2003 ('the Act') introduced a light touch system of permitted temporary activities to replace the old occasional licences and occasional permissions previously granted in connection with short-term alcohol and public entertainment licensing.

Please note: In the calendar years 2022 and 2023, the limits on temporary event notices have been increased.

  • Number of events - from 15 to 20 per calendar year
  • Maximum of number of days - from 21 to 26 per calendar year

No other limits have been amended.

What is a Temporary Event Notice?

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is needed if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises or outside of your current licence permissions. 

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Please read the following notes carefully. If you have a query, please contact the Licensing team.

If you're organising a temporary event you will need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN). A TEN is a form that you provide to the local council, the police and environmental health, letting them know about the planned event. A TEN can be given in respect of both indoor and outdoor events. "Premises" for the purposes of the Act means any place, whether indoors or outdoors.

There are two types of TEN:

  • A standard TEN, which is given no later than 10 working days before the event to which it relates

  • A late TEN, which is given not before 9 and not later than 5 working days before the event.

NB: 10 working days does not include the date of receipt of the notice or the date of the event. Please remember to allow for Bank Holidays and weekends.


Please see the guidance notes attached to the TEN form for the duties of the TEN holder and offences relating to TENs.

Do You Qualify?

  • Fewer than 500 people attending.

  • The event must last no more than 168 hours and can be held either outdoors or indoors.

  • Any premises can only be used for 15 temporary events per year, up to a total maximum of 21 days.

  • You must be over 18 in order to hold a temporary event.

  • If you have a personal licence, you can give 50 TENs (made up of standard and late TENs) a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 5 (made up of standard and late TENs).

If you have a personal licence, you can give 10 late TENs a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 2 late TENs.

There must be at least 24 hours between temporary events organised by the same person.

How We Process Your Notice

Once the police or environmental health receive your TEN, they have three working days to make any objections to it on the grounds of any of the four licensing objectives: prevention of crime and disorder; prevention of public nuisance; public safety; protection of children from harm. If there are no objections, the event will go ahead as planned. If they object, the council will organise a hearing to consider the evidence and may impose conditions or decide that your event cannot proceed.

Copies of the notice must a be given to the relevant chief officer of police and Environmental Health Team no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start at the following address:

  • The Chief Constable

    Nottinghamshire Police

    HQ (CJ) Liquor Licensing

    Mansfield Police Station

    Great Central Road

    Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

    NG18 2HQ

  • Broxtowe Borough Council

    Environmental Health

    Council Offices

    Foster Avenue



    NG9 1AB

Find out more about Fees

Find out more about Appeals and Complaints

tel: 0115 917 3241