Council Tax

Council Tax Charges and Bands

Information on Council Tax Valuation Bands

The Valuation Office Agency, which is part of HM Revenues & Customs, has valued all the domestic property in the country. Each property has been placed in one of eight valuation bands which range from A to H and reflect the estimated market value for which the property might reasonably have been sold on the open market on 1st April 1991.

From April 2017 the government has allowed councils, which provide social care to adults, to increase their share of council tax by an extra 3% in comparison to last year’s council tax. This additional council tax charge is called the adult social care precept.

This precept is shown as a separate charge on your council tax bill and is included in your monthly council tax payments. The income generated from this charge is ring-fenced, meaning it can only be used for adult social care services.

Nottinghamshire County Council is the authority which provides adult social care services, and we collect this charge on their behalf.

View Broxtowe Borough Council's Council Tax Valuation Bands and charges for 2024/25 year (.pdf) (126kb)(Opens in a New Window)

View Broxtowe Borough Council's Council Tax Valuation Bands and charges for 2023/24 year (.pdf) (86kb)(Opens in a New Window)

If you need you need help paying your Council Tax you may qualify for Council Tax Support.


If you have recently moved into a property and you think the council tax banding is wrong, you have six months to appeal against your banding.

Even if you appeal you must continue to pay your council tax based on the current banding of your property. If your appeal is successful, we will send you a refund for any overpayments you have made.

How do I appeal?

If you want to appeal, please visit the Government's Council Tax Appeals section (Opens in a New Window) for further information