Licensing a Vehicle

The Council issues licences for both hackney carriage and private hire vehicles. At the moment, the Council does not have any limit on the number of vehicles it licences. All vehicles must be covered by the correct documentation, ie vehicle excise licence, MOT testing certificate and insurance, and will be required to be examined at the Council's Works Depot at Kimberley at least once per year.

Applications for NEW LICENCES including change of vehicle to be licensed will not be considered for vehicles more than five years old.

Please note that all vehicles licensed for the first time by Broxtowe Borough Council will be required to meet the following Euro Emission Standard.

Diesel vehicles       Euro 6

Petrol vehicles       Euro 5

How do I get a vehicle licensed?

To get a vehicle licensed by Broxtowe Borough Council you must first decide whether the vehicle that you are going to drive is to be a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.

  • Licence plates for vehicles under 5 years are issued annually and following a successful examination of the vehicle, new plates will be issued. The old plates must be surrendered before new plates will be released. When a vehicles has reached the age of 5 years it will, on the next renewal, be licensed on a six monthly basis. Subject to the vehicle successfully passing the examination, the vehicles will continue to be renewed up to the age of 8 years.
  • Vehicles over the age of 8 years will no longer be licensed by the council unless they are wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair accessible vehicles will be renewed up to the age of 10 years.

Application forms are obtainable through the post by telephoning or writing to the Council Offices or by collecting them in person from the reception desk at the Council Offices, Foster Avenue, Beeston. 

Application forms should be completed by applicants and submitted with the following documents:-

  • Insurance Certificate/Cover Note - your original document must be produced so that a photocopy can be taken. The insurance must be for driving a taxi and cover must start, at the latest, from the date and time on which the vehicle is being tested
  • Vehicle Registration Document. If the vehicle has been recently purchased and the registration document is at Swansea, the applicant must provide proof of ownership, ie receipted bill of sale, giving full details of the vehicle (including model, engine capacity, colour, chassis and engine numbers) and produce the registration document as soon as received. The minimum engine size currently allowed for vehicles is 1600cc.
  • MOT Certificate. For both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles an MOT Certificate is required after the first year of registration and thereafter.
  • A seating plan is required for a vehicle being licensed for more than four passengers
  • The Full Fee - until you have paid the appropriate fee in full you will not be able to book your vehicle in for a test.

To obtain a copy of the Council's Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy, discuss your application or to confirm that your vehicle complies with the Council's requirements please contact the licensing section. 

tel: 0115 917 3241