Noise Pollution

Information on how to deal with noisy neighbours and alarms.

Common causes for complaint are loud music, parties, barking dogs, noise from industrial premises and DIY.

Noise becomes a nuisance when it affects your ability to use your own property in the way you normally would, for example, the noise prevents you from sleeping or perhaps you have to turn the volume on your own stereo or television up in order to hear it. Before we can consider any formal action, we have to show the noise is a statutory nuisance.

Process for dealing with Noisy Neighbours

  1. Speak to your neighbour and politely ask if they could stop doing whatever is causing you a problem.
  2. If this does not work, or you feel unable to approach your neighbour, contact the Environmental Health Team on 0115 917 3282 or email
  3. You will be sent a diary sheet to record times and dates of the noise and the effect it is having on you. This should be returned within 28 days so further action can be considered.
  4. The Council will send a letter to the alleged offender highlighting the complaint. While your details are not released, they may be able to assume who made the complaint against them.
  5. Following the return of a diary sheet, officers may arrange for the installation of noise monitoring equipment in your home so you can record any noise incidents as you hear them.
  6. If the Council are satisfied that the noise is frequent enough and loud enough to constitute a Statutory Nuisance, an Abatement Notice will be served on the person responsible for the noise.
  7. If the noise continues following the Abatement Notice, the person responsible is committing an offence. Continue to document the times and dates of any incidents and contact your case officer.
  8. Should a breach be proven, the Council will consider prosecuting the person responsible. If a prosecution goes ahead, you may be required to provide a witness statement and stand as a witness in the proceedings.


Alarms going off accidentally can be annoying for everyone nearby. Registering a key holder for your premises or property can save you aggravation and expense if your alarm goes off accidentally when you are out or away. If people are not registered or a key holder cannot be contacted, the Council may have to silence the alarm under Notice and recover costs from the homeowner - which could amount to around £300.

Residents can register their burglar alarm with environmental health by completing an Intruder Alarm & Key Holder Information Form. (Opens in a New Window) The service uses the information - which includes a key holder who can be contacted in an emergency - if people are away from home and the alarm is causing a nuisance to other residents. 

Environmental Health
tel: 0115 917 3485