Custom and Self-Build Register

Information to help you if you're interested in building or commissioning your own home.

What is custom and self-build?

Self-build housing means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you deliver your home.

What area does the register cover?

Gedling Borough Council is hosting the Custom and Self-Build Registers on behalf of Broxtowe Borough Council, Erewash Borough Council, Nottingham City Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council. The register allows you to choose which area(s) you are interested in building in.

A map of each Council area can be viewed below:

What is the purpose of the register and how will it be used?

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home. Councils are required to keep a register of interested individuals and associations which will provide an indication of the demand for custom and self-build locally. The information held on the register will allow the Councils to develop their housing and planning policies to support the kinds of self and custom-build projects that would be most appropriate and also to explore how to bring people and plots together.  We shall use the information gathered to explore ways in which it may be possible to achieve this, for instance by including appropriate policies in Local Plans.

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the participating Councils without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

Registering your interest for custom and self-build

If you would like to register your interest, please read the guidance notes (.pdf) (191KB) (Opens in new window) (Opens in a New Window) and complete the complete the registration form online (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a New Window).

By signing up you will help us find out more about the number and location of sites which are sought and the types of houses that people would like to build. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable serviced plot will be identified or become available.

More information on custom and self-build

The Self Build Portal includes a range of advice on how to source self-build plots (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a New Window).

The National Custom and Self Build Association toolkit (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a New Window) includes a range of useful information.

If you are a site owner or developer of land within Broxtowe and would be interested in making provision on your site for Custom and Self-Build Housing, please email the Policy team at, and we can liaise with applicants on our Custom and Self-Build register whose criteria would be suitable for your site. 

For any further information on Custom and Self-Build, please contact the Planning Policy team.

Planning Policy
tel: 0115 917 7777