Housing Conditions

Housing Conditions

The Private Sector Housing team offers advice and guidance on the standards acceptable in all properties including Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's), social housing and owner occupied dwellings.

Officers can assist with issues including disrepair, fire safety, management of properties, gas and electrical safety and overcrowding. We provide inspection services and enforcement of the regulations.

Privately Rented Homes

If you privately rent your home or are a landlord for a privately rented home, there are numerous responsibilities which must be met to ensure a safe standard of living.

Find out more on the Government's Private Renting webpages. (Opens in a New Window)

Complaints about housing conditions

If you think that your property is in disrepair or is unsafe then you can make a complaint to the Private Sector Housing team.

How do I complain?

Initially you will need to contact your landlord if your property is rented, preferably in writing, or your social landlord to inform them there is a problem with repairs or conditions at the property. If after a reasonable time period the landlord refuses to complete repairs then you should contact the Private Sector Housing Team. 

What happens if I complain?

An officer will need to visit your property to assess the conditions. If we identify the property requires works because it is unsafe or the property fails to meet other applicable standards then we can approach the landlord on your behalf.

The officers cannot ask the landlord to improve the internal decoration of a property.

We can request that the landlord completes the work to the property either informally or by service of legal notice to ensure compliance with minimum legal housing standards.

If the works are not completed satisfactorily then we may undertake works in default and charge the landlord for the costs incurred or we may take the case to court where the landlord may be fined.

Private Sector Housing
tel: 0115 917 3438
tel: 0115 917 7777