Premises Licence

To provide late-night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol, you will need a licence from Broxtowe Borough Council.

A premises licence is required for any buildings which:

  • Sell or supply of alcohol

  • Provide regulated entertainment

  • Provide late night refreshment

Apply Online


View Guidance on Licensing Act 2003 (.pdf) (255KB) (Opens in a New Window)

Are You Eligible?

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates

  • a recognised club

  • a charity

  • a health service body

  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital

  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales

  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative

  • a person from an educational institute

  • any other permitted person

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age.

How We Process Your Application

Applications must be sent to Broxtowe Borough Council.  Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by any required fee. An operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity).

An operating schedule will include details of:

  • the licensable activities

  • the times when the activities will take place

  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public

  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for

  • information in respect of the premises supervisor

  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both

  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives

  • any other required information

Applicants may be required to advertise their application and to give notice of the application to any other person or responsible body, e.g. the local authority, chief police officer or fire and rescue authority.

The Council must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

We will serve a notice of our decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (i.e. representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

Applications can also be made to vary or transfer a licence. A hearing may have to be heard if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Your application will be processed within 3 months.

If you do not receive the license, you will be not be able to trade.

Find out more about Fees

Find out more about Appeals and Complaints


View The Licensing Act 2003 (Opens in a New Window)

View The Licensing Act 2003 (Premises licences and club premises certificates) Regulations 2005 (Opens in a New Window)

Privacy Notice

View the Council's Privacy Notice

Helpful Organisations

tel: 0115 917 3241