To operate a zoo you will need a licence from Broxtowe Borough Council. Zoos are establishments where wild animals are kept for exhibition to which members of the public have access. Zoos include butterfly houses, aquaria and wild bird sanctuaries in addition to traditional zoos and safari parks.

Apply Online

Eligibility Criteria

EUGO logo

An applicant must not have been disqualified from having custody of animals or keeping a zoo. Convictions under other animals welfare and licensing legislation will also be considered.

Regulation Summary 

Please view the Zoo Licensing Act 1981.

Application Evaluation Process

An inspection will be undertaken by Broxtowe Borough Council and a Government Inspector before a licence is issued. Fees will be payable for applications and conditions will be attached. Fees for the Approved Inspector will be recharged.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Broxtowe Borough Council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details to the right.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Broxtowe Borough Council in the first instance. A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licence holders may at any time apply to Broxtowe Borough Council for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.

Other Redress


Trade Associations

Born Free Foundation
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777