Charitable Collections

A licence is required from the council for any house to house (or other premises) collections of cash, clothing or bric-a-brac.

Only charities which have a Home Office exemption can carry out envelope collections, all others need to collect in sealed containers.

House to House

A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939. House to house collections, include collecting in public houses, factories and offices as well as houses, to collect money or goods on the basis that part of the proceeds will go to a charity. There is no fee for this application.;

Street Collection

A street collection permit is required if the collection is for charitable or similar purposes and the Council will vet the suitability of the applicant and will check that the money collected goes to the stated purpose of the collection. Consideration will also be given to the number of other collections taking place on the appropriate date and to the location of the collection when we consider issuing any permit There is no fee for this application

tel: 0115 917 3241