Aids and Adaptations in Your Home

Information on the aids and adaptations available to people living in their own privately owned home.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are disabled and your home needs adapting you may be entitled to a grant of up to £30,000 subject to your financial circumstances. Typical works include installation of stair lifts, door widening, door ramps, level access showers or lowering worktops.

You will first need an assessment of your needs by an occupational therapist from Nottinghamshire County Council. If the County Council believe adaptations in your home would be beneficial, they will then refer you to Broxtowe Borough Council for a grant.

For further information contact Nottinghamshire County Council Social Care Services on 0300 500 80 80.

Handy Person Adaptation Service (HPAS)

Nottinghamshire County Council provide a handy person service to help keep people safe and secure in their home with free or low-cost jobs. They can complete adaptations like fitting stair rails and grab rails or do small jobs such as fixing curtain rails or putting up shelves. The service is available to all people living in the Borough except Council Tenants as this can be provided by the Housing Team. 

Find out more about the scheme on the County Council's website (Opens in a New Window) or phone 0300 500 80 80.

Private Sector Housing
tel: 0115 917 3438