The Council can collect clinical waste following a referral by a hospital, GP or Health Visitor.
It is very important that this type of waste is assessed and categorised by a medical professional to ensure it is disposed of appropriately.
What is clinical waste?
Clinical waste includes:
- Incontinence products
- Used dressings/bandages
- Any item which may be soiled by blood or bodily fluids
How to arrange a clinical waste collection
Please contact our Customer Services Team on 0115 917 7777.
- Take your name, address and the name and address of your healthcare professional.
- This information is passed to Nottinghamshire County Council who operate a screening process in accordance with current national guidelines.
- They will send a form to your stated healthcare professional to determine the category of clinical waste.
- The completed form is then returned to the County Council who will inform us how the waste needs to be managed.
- We will then inform you of the collection method allocated for your clinical waste.
Records of a customer's collection remain with the Nottinghamshire County Council and are kept confidential.
Please contact us if you require further information and/or extra bin capacity.
An orange or yellow lidded sharps box requiring a clinical waste collection is provided to patients by their Health Specialist. A formal referral from a Health Specialist for the collection of your box is not required.
Residents requiring a sharps collection will be required to complete and return to the Council the Sharps Collection Form (.pdf) (59.7KB) (Opens in a New Window) before a collection will be provided. Once the proforma has been received you will be added to our collection list.
As a collection of a sharps box is not normally needed on a weekly basis you should contact the Council to arrange a collection at least one week before a collection is required.
Your Health Specialist will need to continue to supply you with a replacement box. A replacement box will not be left by the Council on collection day.
To arrange a sharps collection please contact 0115 917 7777.