- Clinical Waste
The Council can collect clinical waste following a referral by a hospital, GP or Health Visitor.
It is very important that this type of waste is assessed and categorised by a medical professional to ensure it is disposed of appropriately.
What is clinical waste?
Clinical waste includes:
- Incontinence products
- Used dressings/bandages
- Any item which may be soiled by blood or bodily fluids
How to arrange a clinical waste collection
A Healthcare professional must complete the form on behalf of the patient requesting healthcare collection.
- You can access the form by visiting Nottinghamshire County Council's webpage 'Request a healthcare waste collection' (opens new window).
- If you require further information, Please contact Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80.
- The healthcare professional (E.g. GP, or Nurse) will have the the correct information needed to dispose of the waste in a safe and legal procedure.
- Patient's details
- Details of the type of healthcare waste being produced and its infectious status
What will happen next
Once the form is submitted to Nottinghamshire County Council they will evaluate the request and inform us of whether or not you are eligible for a clinical waste collection. We will then write and notify you accordingly. Ordinarily you will hear within 10 working days as to whether your application has been successful or not.
Please note Nottinghamshire County Council are responsible for processing any clinical waste collection requests so all enquiries should be directed to them on the above number.
An orange or yellow lidded sharps box requiring a clinical waste collection is provided to patients by their Health Specialist. A formal referral from a Health Specialist for the collection of your box is not required.
Residents requiring a sharps collection will be required to complete and return to the Council the Sharps Collection Form (.pdf) (59.7KB) (Opens in a New Window) before a collection will be provided. Once the proforma has been received you will be added to our collection list.
As a collection of a sharps box is not normally needed on a weekly basis you should contact the Council to arrange a collection at least one week before a collection is required.
Your Health Specialist will need to continue to supply you with a replacement box. A replacement box will not be left by the Council on collection day.
To arrange a sharps collection please contact 0115 917 7777.