Support for individuals

Support for individuals

Information about the support available for individuals affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19).

I want to know more about

If you are self-isolating or vulnerable

For information on mutual aid groups and organisations who can help you get the things you need, visit our Support within the community page.

The Health and Social Care Secretary has announced that millions of people shielding from coronavirus (COVID-19) will be advised they can spend more time outside their homes from Monday 6 July. Further information can be found in Government guidance (Opens in a new window).

Financial support

Council Tax Support

If you have lost your job as a result of Coronavirus and need help with paying your Council Tax then you can claim Council Tax Support 

Anyone who is eligible for Council Tax Support could receive up to £300 extra support in 2020/21. You do not need to apply for this additional support, the Council will provide it to all those who are eligible automatically.

A further £200,000 has been made available to assist those receiving Council Tax Support if they are struggling to pay their Council Tax. To apply, complete the CTS Hardship Application Form (.doc) ( 349KB) (Opens in a New Window)


If you are already getting benefits - view the Government's what to do if you're already getting benefits page (Opens in a new window).

The Department for Work and Pensions have launched a new website 

to provide clear, factual information on employment and benefits support with advice on housing, furlough, sick pay and self-employment, alongside advice and FAQs for employers, those already claiming and those making a new claim. View employment and benefit support (Opens in a new window).

Housing Issues

Protection for renters

The Communities Secretary last week (05 June) announced an extension to the suspension of new evictions until 23 August.
The 2-month extension will come into force on 25 June, ensuring there’s no gap between the existing ban and the extension, and also applies to homeowners, commercial and leasehold.

Further information can be found on the Government press release (Opens in a new window).


During Office Hours - If someone is sleeping rough, they, or someone supporting them should contact the Housing Options Team for advice and assistance.  The team can be contacted on 0115 917 3400 or email

The Housing Options Team will discuss the circumstances and will be able to refer the rough sleeper to temporary accommodation within the Nottinghamshire area. 

Outside Office Hours - Broxtowe Borough Council works closely with the Street Outreach Team, managed by Framework, to try and positively engage and advise rough sleepers within Broxtowe.  The Street Outreach Team can be contacted on 0800 066 5356. The Council also offer a limited service out of hours for emergency housing situations.  They can be contacted on 0115 917 7777.

Work and self-employment

Bereavement and mental health support

Organisations who you can contact if you are struggling with your mental health can be found on our Mental Health Page or the GOV.UK Looking after your mental health webpage (Opens in a new window)

Support organisations if you are experiencing a bereavement as a result of COVID-19 are available on our Bereavement Support page, along with an online Book of Condolence. 

Domestic Abuse

Advice and organisations who can support you if you or someone you know are affected by domestic abuse is available on the Gov UK support for victims of domestic abuse webpage (Opens in a new window). More local services are listed on our Domestic Abuse page.

Other support

Schools Reopening and home schooling

View the Government's education during Coronavirus information (Opens in a new window)

Energy bills support

View the Government's energy bills support information (Opens in a new window).

Support for E.ON customers on prepayment meters , business customers and heat customers. You can find more information on the E.ON information page (Opens in a new window)

Data charges for online NHS advice

View the Government's mobile data information (Opens in a new window).


From 30th March 2020, cars, vans and motorcycles have a 6 month exemption from needing an MOT. You don’t need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date, it will be updated automatically, usually on the day the MOT is due to expire. View the Government's MOTs extended information (Opens in a new window).

Free online training

The Government is offering free online training to help you improve your skills if you aren't able to work at the moment. View the Skills Toolkit website (Opens in a new window) 

Citizens Advice Broxtowe 

They have also put useful information on their website about what Coronavirus means for you - view the Citizen's Advice Coronavirus advice page (Opens in a new window) 

Emergency Food Parcels

If you live in Broxtowe and are in need of an emergency food parcel for your family. Citizens Advice can help you with an emergency food voucher and provide help to maximise your income or refer you for specialist help with managing debts. Call the Mid-Notts Foodbank Referral Line on 01173 532 291 the line is open Monday to Friday, 10.30am - 12.30pm.

Staying up to date

The easiest way to stay up to date with the Council's updates is:

Further information

Advice in other formats

Doctors of the World are providing regular updates of translated guidance based on the NHS and the UK government’s advice and health information. The information is translated with the support of British Red Cross, Migrant Help, Clear Voice, and the Eastern European Resource Centre and is aimed at the migrant and asylum-seeking communities in the UK.

tel: 0800 555 111
Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777